Once a player finds a Treasure Chest, it must be dug up with Shovels. One or multiple players can dig up a particular Chest, with more players making the dig go faster. A player must then carry the Treasure Chest back to the ship, and then turn it in to the Gold Hoarder at any Outpost. All members of a crew receive Gold and Reputation points when one crew member turns in a Treasure Chest.
When one member of a crew finds a Chest, all other crew members are notified.
A player can only carry one Treasure Chest at a time, and cannot use items or sprint while carrying one. Treasure Chests float in water, so they can be dropped temporarily while swimming. They will remain floating for a limited time if the player who was carrying it is killed, so other players or the respawned player can pick it up again.
Gold amounts awarded in exchange for Treasure Chests has a degree of randomness, eg. the Castaway's Chest awards approximately 60 - 120 Gold.
Chest Types[edit | edit source]
|Chest of a Thousand Grogs|
|Chest of Sorrow|
|Skeleton Captain's Chest|
|Chest of Legends|
|Box of Wondrous Secrets|
- Castaway's Chest: Light brown, and thoroughly unremarkable.
- Seafarer's Chest: The most common chest, dark brown. Commonly found as a prize on order of the souls voyages.
- Marauder's Chest: Dark brown, with gold braces.
- Captain's Chest: Gold and dark wood, with encrusted rubies.
- Chest of a Thousand Grogs: Makes the pirate carrying it feel the effects of being drunk. Keg shaped, with a face.
- Chest of Sorrow: Cries, filling up any nearby Ships with water. Blue aesthetic, with a face.
- Skeleton Captain's Chest: Can only be obtained from Skeleton Ships. Looks like a shipwrecked version of a Stronghold Chest.
- Stronghold Chest: Found exclusively in Fortress Vaults in skull forts, it is covered in bones. Vault Key is required.
- Chest of Legends: This chest is the reward for Athena's Fortune Voyages.
- Box of Wondrous Secrets: Rarest chest in the game, can only be found on Devil's Roar islands.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Shipwrecked variation (with barnacles) are worth the same as the normal chests.
- Ashen variation of the 4 basic chests (Castaway's to Captain's) are found in the Devil's Roar region and is worth a little more than twice the base value.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Clever locations to hide Treasure Chests throughout the ship: The Crow's Nest, on the Galleon captain's balcony, against the stairs or walls tucked by barrels on the lower deck, under or in front of the Helm, and on sail cross-beams (access by hopping down to them from the Crow's Nest). Turning off the lanterns below deck can help conceal hidden valuables.