The Shroudbreaker (Quest)
This article contains information that may ruin your enjoyment of discovering the game's secrets for yourself. Read at your own risk!
|This article is about the Tall Tale. For other pages of the same name, see The Shroudbreaker (Disambiguation).|
|Story arc||Shores of Gold|
|← Previous||Next →|
|–||The Cursed Rogue|
|“||A Mysterious Stranger speaks of an ancient relic with the power to reach a lost island...|
The Shroudbreaker is the first Tall Tale in the Shores of Gold Arc. The Tale Book can be voted for on the table next to the Mysterious Stranger in the Tavern of any Outpost. The Tall Tale can be voted to be cancelled at the Ship's Voyage Table. Players can unlock three Checkpoints during this Tall Tale. If they wish to continue the Tall Tale at a later time, they can vote on any acquired Checkpoints at the Voyage Table.
This Tall Tale must be first completed in order to access the second Tall Tale, The Cursed Rogue.
Summary[edit | edit source]
The Shroudbreaker Tall Tale takes players across The Ancient Isles to find what happened to the Pirate Lord's Ship Magpie’s Wing and whether it still has clues to the location of The legendary artefact Shroudbreaker. The Tall Tale starts and ends with the Mysterious Stranger at any Tavern.
Walkthrough[edit | edit source]
For a full, step by step Walkthrough of the Tall Tale with Hints and Images, visit The Shroudbreaker Walkthrough Page!
The Tale Book[edit | edit source]
Once the Crew has voted on the Tall Tale and listened to the Mysterious Stranger, they are given The Journal of the Pirate Lord Tale Book, which they can find and take out in the Map Radial Menu. Any Tale Book can be viewed with the
Primary Use button (Left Mouse Button/Right Trigger). Once taking a closer look at the Tale Book, it's pages can be turned with the
E keys on a Keyboard and the
Right buttons on a Controller. As players progress the Tall Tale, they can pick up or receive additional pages in their Tale Books. These pages may be different depending on the types of puzzles that players encounter during the Tale - some puzzles have many variations, taking players to different locations for a more varied experience.
NPCs[edit | edit source]
The following are the NPCs and Enemies encountered during The Shroudbreaker:
Dialogue[edit | edit source]
Click the button below to reveal the voiced dialogue in the Tall Tale:
CLICK FOR DIALOGUE
Mysterious Stranger's Opening Lines
Mysterious Stranger's Closing Lines
Quest Items[edit | edit source]
There are several Quest Items present in each Tall Tale. These Items serve as elements of progression within the Tales and are of no value to anyone else aside the Crew doing the Tale. The following Quest Items can be acquired during the Shroudbreaker Tall Tale:
- Ancient Chest - A Container Chest found during the Tale. Contains further Quest Items helpful in progressing the Tale. Can be sold as a Collector's Chest when emptied.
- Totem Keys - Six small Totem shaped figurines made out of Stone, used to open hidden Ancient Vaults on various Islands.
- Bear Totem - Opens a hidden Vault on Devil's Ridge.
- Crab Totem - Opens a hidden Vault on Uncharted Island (N-13).
- Moon Totem - Opens a hidden Vault on Crescent Isle.
- Scarab Totem - Opens a hidden Vault on Crook's Hollow.
- Snake Totem - Opens a hidden Vault on Mermaid's Hideaway.
- Shark Totem - Opens a hidden Vault on Kraken's Fall.
- Medallions - Coin-like Medallions with Totem-engravings, themed after their Totem vault and used to solve the Ancient Vault Puzzle.
- Bear Medallion - Three located via the puzzle in the Bear Vault at Devil's Ridge.
- Crab Medallion - Three located via the puzzle in the Crab Vault at Uncharted Island (N-13).
- Moon Medallion - Three located via the puzzle in the Moon Vault at Crescent Isle.
- Scarab Medallion - Three located via the puzzle in the Scarab Vault at Crook's Hollow.
- Snake Medallion - Three located via the puzzle in the Snake Vault at Mermaid's Hideaway.
- Shark Medallion - Three located via the puzzle in the Shark Vault at Kraken's Fall.
- Shroudbreaker - A small statue that has to be delivered to the Mysterious Stranger to finish the Tale.
Mercia's Journals[edit | edit source]
The Commendations of the Tall Tale reveal that there are five Mercia's Journals hidden away in the Tall Tale. These five Journals can only be found and read when the Tall Tale is active and they are only present for the Crew who is doing the Tall Tale. The Journals are hidden around The Ancient Isles Region retelling the accounts of Mercia (from the Novel Athena's Fortune) and her own search for the Shroudbreaker Artefact. Each of the Journals give hints of the next journal's location.
The locations and the contents of the five Journals are presented below. Click Expand under any Journal to see an image of its exact location.
CLICK FOR JOURNALS
What is the Devil's Shroud?[edit | edit source]
Finally, a balmy day, and a chance to document my research before it all spills out of my head and overboard.
Ramsey has been thinking again, and that usually means I'm the one due for a headache. He called for me late last night...
"Mercia. How might we stay safe in the Devil's Shroud?" I just stared at him. We all know how dangerous that fog is.
It surrounds the Sea of Thieves, but it ebbs and flows. Sometimes it swallows whole islands for months or even years at a time.
Sail into that mist, and you'll start to choke. The deck beneath your feet will splinter. The Shroud feasts on ships and sailors alike.
Being me of course, I told Ramsey I'd find a way. I've left my notes tucked away at Ancient Spire. I'll see what I can learn...
An Ancient Clue?[edit | edit source]
Did you ever walk into a room thinking about something so hard, you couldn't see it right in front of you? The truth is like that, sometimes.
While filling my tankard below deck, I happened to glance down at the map table. Ancient Spire. In the Ancient Isles. The truth...
I've asked to set course for Devil's Ridge, nearby. If I'm right, the key to breaching the Shroud has been in front of me all along.
We like to think of ourselves as being the first to find a way of reaching the Sea of Thieves, but that isn't the truth. Not one bit...
Comings and Goings[edit | edit source]
The First Ones. The Lost Tribes. The Ancients. Whatever you call them, they lived here, in what we now know as the Sea of Thieves.
Signs of their civilisation can be found all over the place, even on islands that were once claimed by the Devil's Shroud.
They built temples, altars -- places that were important to them. They couldn't simply pack up and leave when the fog drew in...
I'll need to cross-reference some of my oldest notes, stashed away back at Thieves' Haven. Our first hideout! How nostalgic.
The Shroud Breaker[edit | edit source]
It exists! Proof lies in some of the most obscure places (Ramsey won't let me write down where) but the relic's real enough.
As near as I can tell, they used the artefact like a beacon to protect their homes and places of worship from the Shroud's effects.
At other times, it was taken to a vault to recover its powers. When I told Ramsey, he replied "Ah, so it's a shroud breaker, then!"
All of this seems to have inspired him. We're making for Plunder Outpost on Ramsey's orders, to see a man about a map...
The Shores of Gold?[edit | edit source]
Placed by a Campfire on Plunder Outpost.
Well. This escalated quickly. Ramsey remembered the drunken ramblings of some old salt who'd sailed too close to the Devil's Shroud.
The old man claimed he'd glimpsed a glittering island... One where the very ground was made of gems and precious metals.
It sounds impossible, but as Ramsey likes to say, that's just another way of describing something we haven't seen yet.
At first light, we'll be setting out to find that Shroudbreaker. If these Shores of Gold are real, it's the only way we'll reach them.
I should get to my bunk and try for sleep. From now on, Ramsey's voyage journal can tell our story...
Commendations and Rewards[edit | edit source]
|The Shroudbreaker (Quest)|
|The Lost Voyage||Discover Magpie's Wing Ship Log||–|
|Vault of the Ancients||Discover the Ancient Vault||–|
|The Key to Adventure||Find the Shroudbreaker Artefact||–|
|The Shroudbreaker||Complete 'The Shroudbreaker'||Pirate Lord Hat|
|Mercia's Lost Memories||Discover all of Mercia's Journals||–|
|Footsteps of the Pirate Lord||Complete the Tall Tale 5 times||–|
|A Sunken Legacy||Complete all commendations for 'The Shroudbreaker' Tall Tale||Magpie's Wing Cannons|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The final step of the Tall Tale will keep infinitely spawning Coral Skeletons on the Island, making it easy to farm Skeleton kill Commendations.
- Gold Hoarder Treasure Vaults become inaccessible for Crews that have this Tall Tale active.
- The final Checkpoint of this Tall Tale can be used to give other Players easy completions of the Tale, as it spawns the Shroudbreaker Artefact on the Voyage Table. The Player who put down the checkpoint can leave before the item is turned in for completion so that they can still keep their Checkpoint in their Quest Inventory.
Bugs[edit | edit source]
- The Totem Vault on Crook's Hollow has been noted to not update different parts of the puzzle and locking players out of the Tall Tale.
Patch History[edit | edit source]
Click here for Patch History