The Hungering Deep
|“||“They worshipped a great beast - The Hungering One.”|
Overview[edit | edit source]
The campaign to find and kill the Megalodon eventually requires the teamwork of at least two pirate crews.
It begins by speaking to a Bilge Rat at a Tavern, which leads you to a special character found on an island, named Merrick. Merrick directs you to three different journals found on islands across the sea, each providing clues to the next steps, some of which involve speaking to Outpost characters.
After all journals and characters have been found, players must return to Merrick to receive a new instrument, a Drum, and join Merrick in playing a shanty (tune) using it. This tune must be "carried" to a particular summon location, accomplished by having at least one player always continuing to play the tune during the trip from Merrick to the summon location. Once at the summon location, at least 5 players must play the tune on their Drums simultaneously, which summons the Megalodon.
New Elements[edit | edit source]
- Bilge Rats: To stay in the know as to what is changing in the Sea of Thieves, visit the Bilge Rat, Duke, in the taverns to discover what time-limited events are active. Whether it’s The Hungering Deep or future events, this is the place to go!
- Drum: Pirate percussionists (inspired by Merrick) can now be heard all across the seas. The first drum is obtainable through The Hungering Deep campaign, but purchasable variants will be arriving in the shops in the near future.
- Speaking Trumpet: Parley! Let other ships know if you are friend or foe with the new Speaking Trumpet, making yourself heard from longer distances. The first Speaking Trumpet is obtainable through The Hungering Deep campaign, but purchasable variants will be arriving in the shops in the near
- Megalodon: A giant shark that is summoned by playing Merrick's Shanty at map coordinate T-26 with at least 5 pirates, meaning crews will have to team up.
- Flags: Want to sink and plunder, or seek allies to adventure with? Let your intentions be known with new flags which can be raised high above your ship! Climb up to the crow’s nest and decide which to raises.
Steps[edit | edit source]
- Find the Bilge Rat, Duke, at a Tavern. The Duke is where players can learn of new events. He'll point you to Shark Bait Cove (map coordinates I-24).
- Find the character named Merrick on the south-east shore. He will tell you about journals you must find.
- Journal #1: Merrick directs you to his first journal at a "fin-rock that stands in a lagoon." It is close by, near the center of Shark Bait Cove. Look for the fin-shaped rock, and resting nearby, a journal (book). Interact with the journal and read both its pages. Its first clue informs players that two crews must to work together, using the Drum, to summon the Megalodon. The second, "red haired and fair of face, her tavern stands at a shining place!", refers to Tina at Golden Sands Outpost (E-12).
- Journal #2: At Golden Sands Outpost, head to the Tavern and speak to Tina, the bartender. Ask about "drunken pirates." She talks about Merrick's sunken ship, The Killer Whale, "north of that place... Idiot Island, or something. East of Double Trees." She is referring to a location north of Fool’s Lagoon (K-17) and east of Twin Groves (I-13). Head to the uncharted island at L-14 and look for the Crow’s Nest protruding from the water. Climb its ladder and interact with the journal to read its pages. "tavern that hasss a nasty bite, where the drunks sslither evry nighT. The BARkeep’s fond o her own grogg, a scarred beaut in a Wild spott" alludes to Teri at The Snake Pit Tavern at Dagger Tooth Outpost (Q-8).
- Journal #3: At Dagger Tooth Outpost, head to the Tavern, and talk to Teri, the bartender, about "drunken pirates." She offer several location hints: "fishy lil cave," "underr the golden arch," and "uncharted place wessht o’ Shark Tooth Key- he sshaid there’sh a rock nearby ‘looks jussht like hish enemy." These refer to Shark Tooth Key (U-15). Travel West from Shark Tooth Key to find a barely visible uncharted island at S-16. At the northeast shore of that uncharted island, dive down underwater and look for ruins of a stone archway, which is actually a cave entrance. Inside is the third journal. Interact with it to read its pages, which tell of Merrick crafting Drums for pirates, and that if enough people can learn his shanty (tune), they can summon the Megalodon.
- Acquiring the Drum: The last journal page directs you to return to Merrick at the south-west shore of Shark Bait Cove (I-24). Speak to Merrick about finding the "beast," and he explains that a special tune can summon it, but that at least five players are needed. Get the Drum and a new tattoo from Merrick. "I hope you can carry a tune... take this drum with you. I’m thinking of making more, now I’m retired. And hey, wear me tattoo. I want that thing to know who sent you!"
- The tune: At least one player must play their Drum in Merrick's vicinity to pick up his tune. Other players who play their Drums in that player's vicinity can then pick up the tune as well. In that way, the tune can be passed on to players on the ship while others board. At least one player at any given time must be playing this tune on their drum, all the way until the ship arrives at the location where the Megalodon is summoned.
- Summoning Megalodon: The "infernal ridge" hint referred to Devil's Ridge (U-24). "Don’t get too close to the Shroud!" referred to the border of the map. The exact map coordinates are only hinted at cryptically: The names of all of Merrick's loves begin with "T", and the journal numbers all add up to "26." Head to map coordinates T-26 at the southern edge of the Sea of Thieves map, making sure that at least one player is playing Merrick's shanty on their Drum at any given time. Once at T-26, 4 more players (5 total) must continue playing the shanty in order to summon the Megalodon.
- If at any point Merrick's shanty is lost due to no players playing the tune, the crew must return to Merrick to re-acquire the tune.
- Kill Megalodon. This will be a long and difficult battle.
- Return to Merrick at Shark Bait Cove (I-24) to collect rewards.
Titles[edit | edit source]
|Shark Hunter||Found all 3 of Merrick's Journals|
|Shark Slayer||Defeated the Hungering One|