Tall Tales are lengthy story Quests in Sea of Thieves that are accessed via Tale Books given by various NPCs who direct players towards grand adventures to uncover various secrets of The Sea of Thieves.
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
Tall Tales are lengthy Quests separate from all other Quests and Voyages, which cannot be voted on at the Voyage Table or found at The Sea of Thieves, but instead have to be voted on by Tale Books, which are found by specific NPCs that give the Crews the Quest. The information on where to access each specific Tall Tale is written on the "More Info" page when hovering over individual Tales in the Tall Tales Reputation menu. Once the vote has been passed, the NPC will give the players a short introduction and the Tale Book itself, which will appear in their Map Radial Menu. Once equipped, Players can then view the Tale Book and turn the pages to read further. These Tale Books continue the story in a Journal style, leading players to their next destinations through hints and puzzles.
Most Tall Tales will adjust game balance based on crew size, choosing either smaller or larger islands for you and scaling Boss fights (currently, it is possible to bypass the Boss scaling by having all players but two leave the game and rejoin after the fight starts).
In addition to the Tale Books, players can acquire various Quest Items in the form of small or large Artefacts, Chests or Keys, which they need to deliver to certain places or use with certain things to progress the Tale. Likewise, Equippable Quest Items can be acquired during specific Tall Tales, which appear in their Map Radial Menu and have to be used to complete certain puzzles or sections of these Tales.
Every Tall Tale has 5-10 hidden Journals that appear in the world for the Crew only when the Tale itself is active. These Journals reveal additional story elements and generally need to be found to complete a Commendation for the Tale.
Tales[edit | edit source]
Shores of Gold Arc[edit | edit source]
These nine Tall Tales were released with the Anniversary Update, taking players on a grand episodic adventure, where they attempt to piece together the mythical Shroudbreaker Artefact and enter the Devil's Shroud to find the legendary Shores of Gold.
- The Shroudbreaker (Quest) - Tale Book given by the Mysterious Stranger at any Tavern.
- The Cursed Rogue - Tale Book given by Madame Olivia at the Order of Souls tent at Plunder Outpost. Requires completion of the previous Tall Tale to become unlocked.
- The Legendary Storyteller - Tale Book given by Tasha at the Tavern of Ancient Spire Outpost. Requires completion of the previous Tall Tale to become unlocked.
- Stars of a Thief - Tale Book given by Sudds at The North Star Seapost. Requires completion of the previous Tall Tale to become unlocked.
- Wild Rose - Tale Book given by Madame Olive at Sanctuary Outpost. Requires completion of The Legendary Storyteller to become unlocked.
- The Art of the Trickster - Tale Book given by Salty on the northern shore of Plunder Valley. Requires completion of The Legendary Storyteller to become unlocked.
- The Fate of the Morningstar - Tale Book given by The Ferryman at the Ferry of the Damned. Requires completion of Stars of a Thief, Wild Rose and The Art of the Trickster to become unlocked.
- Revenge of the Morningstar - Tale Book given by Sandra at the Shipwright Shop of Dagger Tooth Outpost. Requires completion of the previous Tall Tale to become unlocked.
- Shores of Gold (Quest) - Tale Book given by Grace Morrow outside the Tavern at Morrow's Peak Outpost. Requires completion of the previous Tall Tale to become unlocked.
Individual Tales[edit | edit source]
These Tall Tales are not a part of any Story Arc, but are singular Tales added through various Content Updates.
- Maiden Voyage - An introductory Tale that starts right after a Player makes their Pirate. Accessed via the Main Menu later.
- The Seabound Soul - Introduced with The Seabound Soul (Content Update), Tale Book given by Sir Arthur Pendragon inside the shipwreck of the Blackwyche at Shipwreck Bay.