|This article is about the World Event. For the Location, see Fortress.|
A Skeleton Fort (also called Skull Fort after the cloud) is one of the three possible World Events in Sea of Thieves, indicated by a large Cloud in the shape of a Skull. An active Skeleton Fort can appear at any Fortress Island (apart from Fort of the Damned, which has its own Raid event).
- 1 The World Event
- 2 Notes
- 3 Tips
- 4 Trivia
- 5 Related Commendations
- 6 Gallery
The World Event[edit | edit source]
While normally dormant, a single Fortress on a server will occasionally appear with a large red Skull Cloud hovering above it, visible from a distance. This indicates that the Fortress under the cloud has been invaded by a host of Skeletons who have decided to stash their Stronghold Treasure in the Fortress Vault. The size of the cloud determines its distance from a Player's Crew.
As only one World Event can be active at a time, a Skeleton Fort can only appear if there is no Skeleton Fleet present, but there will always be an active World Event in each server. Between every Skeleton Fort and Fleet Event, one Ship on the open seas will get attacked by a Kraken. This also makes it usual for the Crew who cleared the last active Fort to be the first one to get attacked by the Kraken. When left alone, an activated Skeleton Fort will dissipate in around 30 minutes, allowing for other World Events to cycle in. If an active Fort is approached, its timer will be reset, allowing for it to stay in the world for a longer time.
Approaching the Island[edit | edit source]
When an active Fort is approached, ominous music will start playing with all of the Fortresses Cannon fortifications becoming manned by Skeletons who intend to sink any Ships coming close to the Island. Once close enough to the Fort and outside the range of any Cannons, the player crew can attempt to raid the Fortress itself. This is done by taking on waves of Skeletons who are trying to defend the Vault at any costs. These Skeleton waves can be of any Skeleton type (Regular Skeleton, Plant Skeleton, Gold Skeleton, Shadow Skeleton) and be armed with all Weapons but the Eye of Reach.
The Skeleton Fort Event[edit | edit source]
Once on the Island, players can take on the Fort event itself.
Skeleton Waves[edit | edit source]
Each Active Fort has, on average, 12 waves of up to 10 Skeletons before the first Skeleton Captain is summoned at the central Fort structure. Different Skull Forts seem to have different Skeleton waves. The most complex of the Forts will spawn different types of Skeletons each wave with varying equipped Weapons (including Gunpowder Skeletons. The medium difficulty Fort will only spawn waves of Regular Skeletons armed with any weaponry and 1-2 Gunpowder Skeletons per wave. The easiest type of Fort tends to only spawn Regular Skeletons with either no arms or just swords, making them a breeze to complete. The difficulty of a Fort does not seem to be tied to the Crew size or Region and is purely dependent on luck.
First Captain Wave[edit | edit source]
After the 12 regular waves of Skeletons have been dealt with, the first Boss wave will appear with another wave of ~10 Skeletons and a Skeleton Captain. The Skeleton Captain can also be of any Skeleton type and carry any one Weapon apart for an Eye of Reach or a Gunpowder Barrel. This Captain is as strong as any Emergent Skeleton Captain encountered on Islands, taking around 4-5 point blank Blunderbuss shots to kill. Once defeated, the Skeleton Captain will drop a Stronghold Skull.
Second Captain Wave[edit | edit source]
After the first Skeleton Captain wave has been defeated, the second boss wave will appear with yet some more Skeletons, but this time accompanied by two Skeleton Captains: An Ashen Key Master and an Ashen Guardian. These Captains are identical to the first wave's captain, just with a red glow surrounding them.
Skeleton Lord Wave[edit | edit source]
After the Ashen Captains have been dealt with, the final Skeleton Lord wave will commence. Aside from another group of Skeletons, one of the three fort Skeleton Lords can appear: The Mutinous Helmsman, The Two-Faced Scoundrel or The Duchess. These Skeleton Lords are all slightly weaker than your Tall Tale or Fort of the Damned Skeleton Lords, however they have all the tricks of the Lords. They can equip a Cutlass, Flintlock and Blunderbuss, summon more Skeletons, Teleport around and create a massive Shockwave, pushing any Pirates back and dealing damage to them the closer they are to them. They will start eating Bananas once low on health, however it is unknown whether these will heal them, or whether its merely an indicator of low health. It takes about 15 Gunpowder Barrels to kill an Ashen Fort Skeleton Lord.
Once the Skeleton Lord is defeated, they will drop a Stronghold Key and an additional Villainous Bounty Skull and Skeleton's Orders, that give the crew an X Marks the Spot Map with 2-3 Xs that uncover Gifts. After the Lord is dead, the Skull cloud will dissipate, marking the end of the Skeleton Fort.
Fortress Vault[edit | edit source]
The final Skeleton Lord will drop the Stronghold Key, which can be used to open the locked Fortress Vault below the main Fort structure. The Fortress Vault contains a large amount of loot with a guaranteed Stronghold level item of each type.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
The Fortress Vault of an active Skeleton Fort will become locked until the Skeleton Lord is defeated and a Vault Key is acquired. An active Fortress Vault contains a large amount of Treasure, worth between 12,000 and 30,000 Gold. Each Fortress Vault is guaranteed to include a Stronghold level item of each type: a Stronghold Skull, a Stronghold Chest, a Stronghold Gunpowder Barrel and a Crate of Ancient Bone Dust that are each worth between 2,500 to 6,000 Gold. The Vault is also guaranteed to have a locked Ashen Chest with guaranteed Tomes of Power. These Chests can be opened with an Ashen Key, which is dropped by the Ashen Key Master during the second Captain boss wave. Additionally, a single Fortress Vault usually tends to spawn 1-4 random Treasure items of each type, with these being: Treasure Chests, Trinkets, Bounty Skulls, Trade Good Crates, Gunpowder Barrels, Mermaid Gems and Collector's Chests with Gold and additional loot. There is no way to open the Fortress Vault without the Vault Key. While the Vault Key can be used to open any Vault, only the Vault of the Fortress that was recently raided will contain any Treasure.
Molten Sands Fortress[edit | edit source]
All Skeleton Fort events are virtually the same, with the exception of an active Fort at the Molten Sands Fortress in the Devil's Roar, which has an active Volcano that can makes things more difficult. The main differences of this Fort over the others is that the Skeleton Waves may spawn a wave of Ashen Skeletons who are resistant to Fire damage, the Treasure rewarded by the Skeleton's Orders map dropped by the Skeleton Lord Boss and a guaranteed Chest of Rage and Ashen versions of regular Treasure in the Fortress Vault.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The eyes of the Skull Cloud are not an indicator for the difficulty or other ships near the fort.
- Skeleton Fort events can be defeated solo, however it requires time, skill and luck with other players.
- Some Forts have fairly sparse floorboards covering the Vault itself, allowing players to take a sneak peek at the loot inside. Note that while you can see Gunpowder Barrels through these holes, you can not make them blow up by shooting through the floorboards, despite getting hit markers on a hit.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Be mindful of your surroundings when tackling an active Skeleton Fort, as the high rewards make the Event a hotspot for Player versus Player combat. Likewise, if you see a Ship on an active Fortress, you can wait for them to clear the Fort and attack them once the fortifications are unmanned and they are busy transporting their loot.
- Aside from the Skeletons who will man any Cannons that are in range of any approaching Ships, your own crewmates can also make use of these Cannons to keep any other Ships away from the Fort. Ideally, one player may remain on the ship to keep watch for rival crews.
- The large number of Gunpowder Barrels on a Fortress make them a good tool for dispatching entire waves of Skeletons (these are especially useful against Gold Skeletons), however these can be also used to blow up any approaching enemy Ships, or even used against the bosses of the Fort. Watch out, as these can also be used against your own ship!
- The inclusion of Firebombs make completing Forts an absolute breeze. If you lure all the Skeletons to one place, you can throw a Firebomb at them and they will die within seconds no matter their Type. Firebombs are also effective against the Skeleton Captains and Skeleton Lord for additional damage.
- If you can lure the Skeleton Lord on the beach or a visible spot, you can position your ships Cannons towards the Lord and kill them quickly with Cannonballs.
- Note that all Green Cursed Cannonballs effect the Skeletons, Captains and Lords of the Fort and can also be used as a tool against them.
- When done with a Fort, make use of the Ship Harpoons to make transporting the Treasure easier. Many Forts also spawn a Rowboat to help with Treasure transport, however many of these Rowboats can become stuck behind the fortifications themselves.
- The Fortress Vault will stay locked as long as its Vault Key is within the World. Clever pirates who are under attack when finishing a fort can hide the Key on their boat or on the Fort itself and come back for it later.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Early in the game's release, Forts would originally spawn every 3 hours.
- During the month of the Crews of Rage (Content Update), which introduced the Chest of Rage, the Molten Sands Fortress was the only active Skeleton Fort.
Related Commendations[edit | edit source]
Gunpowder Skeletons[edit | edit source]
- Gunpowder Plot → Destroy 5 Skeletons at the same time by Shooting a Gunpowder Skeleton on an active Fort; while at least 1 other Crew is on the Island at the same time. |
- Legendary Gunpowder Plot → Destroy 5 Skeletons at the same time by Shooting a Gunpowder Skeleton on an active Fort; while at least 1 other Crew is on the Island at the same time. (20 times) |
Shrouded Spoils[edit | edit source]
- Master of Black Powder → Sell 10 Stronghold Gunpowder Barrels |
- Golden Master of Strongholds → Sell 10 Stronghold Chests |
- Mystical Master of Strongholds → Sell 10 Stronghold Skulls |
- Master of Ancient Bone Dust → Sell 10 Crates of Ancient Bone Dust |
Ashen Treasures[edit | edit source]
- Helmsman Hunted → Defeat The Mutinous Helmsman. |
- Mutiny Crushed → Defeat The Mutinous Helmsman 10 times. |
- Tied to the Wheel → Defeat The Mutinous Helmsman 25 times. |
- Scoundrel Slain → Defeat The Two-Faced Scoundrel. |
- Two Faces, One Fate → Defeat The Two-Faced Scoundrel 10 times. |
- Facing the Inevitable → Defeat The Two-Faced Scoundrel 25 times. |
- Duchess Destroyed → Defeat The Duchess. |
- Duchess of Death → Defeat The Duchess 10 times. |
- A Noble Defeat → Defeat The Duchess 25 times. |