Story[edit | edit source]
Skeleton Lords are cursed individuals who were formerly human pirates, but for one reason or another became cursed, transforming into their Skeleton Lord forms. Unlike other Skeletons, Skeleton Lords retain most of their memories, their human conscience, and have more autonomous and unique purposes. They can be seen as commanders of lesser Skeletons, innately possessing mastery over them as well as the knowledge of Skeleton Glyphs.
Types of Skeleton Lords[edit | edit source]
Some Skeleton Lords are fought during Boss Encounters, such as in Tall Tales and Raids. Skeleton Lords all have a large health pool (varying depending on Crew size for Tall Tales) and a possess high-damage abilities. They can equip either a Cutlass, Pistol, or Blunderbuss, create a large damaging shockwave that pushes any Pirates back in the air, summon additional Skeletons to aid them, Teleport when surrounded or eat Fruit when low on health.
Boss Encounters[edit | edit source]
Tall Tale Skeleton Lord Encounters:
- Captain Briggsy: Encountered during The Cursed Rogue Tall Tale. Briggsy was a legendary pirate that sought the Shores of Gold. After finding the island, she became trapped, slowing falling under the skeleton curse. She became infamous across the Sea of Thieves for being a Skeleton Lord, and desperately searched for a cure to the curse.
- Graymarrow: Encountered during Revenge of the Morningstar Tall Tale. Graymarrow is a ruthless Skeleton Lord that sought the Shores of Gold, with the power to bind his enemies souls to ensure they cannot return via the Ferry of the Damned. After stealing a Shroudbreaker Stone from the crew of the Morningstar, he laid in hibernation, waiting for clues of the Shroudbreaker to appear.
- The Gold Hoarder: Encountered during the Shores of Gold (Quest). The pirate known as Rathbone, who was consumed by greed, unwittingly cursed from sitting on an ancient golden throne in a strange cave within the Sea Of Thieves. The Gold Hoarder is a fearsome Skeleton Lord, founder of the Gold Hoarders Trading Company, on an endless quest for plunder, replacing parts of his decaying body with the gold from the Treasures he collects.
Fort of the Damned Skeleton Lord Encounters:
- Ghost of Graymarrow: A ghostly apparition variant of Skeleton Lord Graymarrow summoned as a part of the Fort of the Damned Ritual and drops a Fort of the Damned Key.
Skeleton Fort Skeleton Lord Encounters:
- The Mutinous Helmsman: One of the three Skeleton Lords to govern over Ashen Skeleton Forts.
- The Two-Faced Scoundrel: One of the three Skeleton Lords to govern over Ashen Skeleton Forts.
- The Duchess: One of the three Skeleton Lords to govern over Ashen Skeleton Forts.
Other Skeleton Lords[edit | edit source]
- Captain Flameheart - A mysterious Skeleton Lord, once a scholar who sought adventure, drank from a cursed goblet that turned him and his crew into skeletons.
- Captain Warsmith - Formerly Wanda the Weaponsmith and shopkeeper at Golden Sands Outpost; She became cursed from experimenting on a cannon from Flameheart's ship, the Burning Blade, creating Cursed Cannonballs in the process. She disliked business with pirates, and resented the Outposts for rejecting her Cursed Cannonballs. As Captain Warsmith, she captained the Sandman's Revenge during Cursed Sails.