Skeleton Captains are Boss Skeletons that either appear solo or with waves of underlings during Bounty Quests on Islands. They also appear as the bosses of Skeleton Fortress raids or mini-bosses of certain Tall Tales. They have higher health than regular Skeletons and can appear as any type of Skeleton. Skeleton Captains are distinguished by their clothing and red nameplates.
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
Skeleton Captains appear in various situations. They can spawn as any type of Skeleton: Normal, Shadow Skeleton, Plant Skeleton or Gold Skeleton. Skeleton Captains can spawn without a Weapon, with a Cutlass, Flintlock Pistol or Blunderbuss. Skeleton Captains will not spawn with Gunpowder Barrels or an Eye of Reach.
It takes around 17 Cutlass hits or 6-7 Combos to kill one Regular Captain, Shadow or Plant Skeleton Captain. Gold Skeleton Captains are strong against Cutlass hits, but can be easily taken down with firearms or a single Gunpowder Barrel.
Spawn Locations and Rewards[edit | edit source]
Skeleton Captains will almost always drop an Item upon defeat.
Bounty Quest Captains[edit | edit source]
Up to 4 Skeleton Captains can spawn at the same Island during a Bounty Quest. These Captains will drop one of the 4 regular Bounty Skulls: Foul Bounty Skull, Disgraced Bounty Skull, Hateful Bounty Skull, Villainous Bounty Skull. Any Skeleton Captains appearing as a part of Bounty Quests in The Devil's Roar will drop one of the Ashen counterparts of these 4 skulls, which are worth nearly twice as much as their original versions. These Skulls can be sold to the Order of Souls for Gold and Reputation. A Bounty Quest Skeleton Captain is usually preceded by waves of regular Skeletons of any type.
Skeleton Fort Captains[edit | edit source]
An active Skeleton Fort will spawn a Skeleton Captain as the first boss wave boss, who will drop a Stronghold Skull upon defeat. The Captain is as strong as any other Skeleton Captain and has the same mechanics as any other Captain.
Emergent Skeleton Captains[edit | edit source]
Emergent Skeleton Captains appear alone, roaming alone on the shores of Small or Large Islands. Upon defeat, an Emergent Skeleton Captain will always drop a Villainous Bounty Skull and a Skeleton’s Orders Quest with a small delay. The Quest will provide crews with a Treasure Map or Riddle Map on a nearby Island that rewards crews high-value Treasure.
Ashen Guardians[edit | edit source]
Introduced with the 2.0.9 Ashen Treasures Update, Ashen Guardians are an Ashen Skeleton Captain that protect Ashen Chests. They can spawn as Emergent Skeleton Captains or during a Skeleton Fort's second boss wave. Drops a Villainous Bounty Skull and Ashen Guardian's Notes Quest that leads to an Ashen Chest.
Ashen Key Masters[edit | edit source]
Introduced with the 2.0.9 Ashen Treasures Update, Ashen Key Masters are an Ashen Skeleton Captain that protect Ashen Keys. They can spawn as Emergent Skeleton Captains or during a Skeleton Fort's second boss wave. Drops a Villainous Bounty Skull and an Ashen Key Master's Notes that leads to an Ashen Key.
Tall Tale Skeleton Captains[edit | edit source]
These are the various Skeleton Captains encountered during Tall Tales chapters.
- Captain Avery - The Skeleton Captain who is guarding the Skeleton Key in The Cursed Rogue Tall Tale.
- Captain Blake - The Skeleton Captain who is guarding the Skeleton Chest in The Cursed Rogue Tall Tale.
- Rooke - A Skeleton Captain who is guarding George's Pendant in the Wild Rose Tall Tale.
- Captain of the Lair - A nameless Skeleton Captain guarding the Trapmaker's Lair in The Art of the Trickster Tall Tale.
- Captain of the Vault - Nameless Coral Skeleton Captains who guard the Ancient Vault in The Art of the Trickster Tall Tale.
- Captain Gripper - A Skeleton Captain who is guarding Graymarrow's Orders in the Revenge of the Morningstar.
- Captain Douglas - A Skeleton Captain who is guarding Graymarrow's Orders in the Revenge of the Morningstar.
- Captain Adara - The Captain of The Ashen Dragon, guarding its cargo in The Seabound Soul Tall Tale.
Skeleton Captain Names[edit | edit source]
Names without the "Captain" title count toward "Hunter of Cursed Crews" Commendation.
Names with the "Captain" title count toward "Hunter of Cursed Captains" Commendation.
List of Skeleton Captain Names[edit | edit source]
The following is an alphabetical list of all the documented Skeleton Captain names. These Captain names can appear with or without a preceding Captain title.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Multiple Skeleton Captains can spawn on the same voyage and share the same name.