In addition to the physical locations listed below, the Ferry of the Damned is a ghost ship seen only by players who die. Players are transported here while they await respawning.
Location types[edit | edit source]
- Outposts: Islands with shops, trading companies, and no monsters.
- Seaposts: Islets with a single Shop each, offering discounts on a selection of items that change over time.
- Fortresses: Islands with fortifications, spawns skeletons during a Fortress Raid.
- Islands: Regular islands that contain resources and monsters, and are voyaged to during quests.
- Shipwrecks: Sunken ships that contain resources, treasure chests, skulls, or even trading crates for the Merchant Alliance.
Regions[edit | edit source]
The Sea of Thieves map is divided into four regions. Each region is intended to have its own distinct theme and feel.
- The Shores of Plenty: Comprises the North-West portion of the Map. It is composed mainly of small desert islands and islands with white sandy beaches and lush palm trees. The Sea of Thieves developers have stated that this region's feel was inspired by the Caribbean during the Golden Age of Piracy, along with a touch of Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean films.
- The Ancient Isles: Comprises the Southern portion of the map. It is composed mainly of large islands full of mystery and ancient hideaways of pirate crews that used to sail these seas. The Sea of Thieves developers have stated that this region's feel was inspired by the Indiana Jones film franchise, in terms of adventure, exploring ancient ruins, and solving their mysteries; along with old swashbuckling adventure stories and pirate legends.
- The Wilds: Comprises the North-East portion of the map. It is composed mainly of "haunted" and deserted islands containing the remains of deceased pirates. The Sea of Thieves developers have stated that they wanted this region to feel darker and more threatening, with near-permanent cloud cover and native plant life slowly withering and dying.
- The Devil's Roar: Comprises the South-East portion of the map. It is composed mainly out of volcanic islands that covered half-burned plant life and strange red crystal growths. Devil's Roar is a deadly stretch of ocean pockmarked with volcanic elements, threatening all ships that pass through. There are caves dotted around the area that offers little protection, but with steam vents and falling rocks, nowhere is truly safe.
- The Devil's Shroud: The edge of the map that encloses the Sea of Thieves, but also conceals abandoned lands that may or may not have been inhabited. The shroud darkens the environment and slowly dismantles the ship.
Specific locations[edit | edit source]
|Sanctuary Outpost||F-7||The Shores of Plenty|
|Golden Sands Outpost||D-10||The Shores of Plenty|
|Plunder Outpost||J-18||The Ancient Isles|
|Ancient Spire Outpost||Q-17||The Ancient Isles|
|Galleon's Grave Outpost||R-8||The Wilds|
|Dagger Tooth Outpost||M-8||The Wilds|
|Morrow's Peak Outpost||V-17||The Devil's Roar|
|The Spoils of Plenty Store||B-7||The Shores of Plenty|
|The North Star Seapost||H-10||The Shores of Plenty|
|The Finest Trading Post||F-17||The Ancient Isles|
|Stephen's Spoils||L-15||The Ancient Isles|
|Three Paces East Seapost||S-10||The Wilds|
|The Wild Treasures Store||O-4||The Wilds|
|Brian's Bazaar||Y-12||The Devil's Roar|
|Roaring Traders||U-20||The Devil's Roar|
|Keel Haul Fort||C-6||The Shores of Plenty|
|Hidden Spring Keep||I-8||The Shores of Plenty|
|Sailor's Knot Stronghold||E-14||The Shores of Plenty|
|Lost Gold Fort||H-17||The Ancient Isles|
|Old Boot Fort||L-14||The Ancient Isles|
|The Crow's Nest Fortress||O-17||The Ancient Isles|
|Skull Keep||P-9||The Wilds|
|Kraken Watchtower||L-6||The Wilds|
|Shark Fin Camp||P-5||The Wilds|
|Molten Sands Fortress||Z-11||The Devil's Roar|
|Islands & Islets|
|Barnacle Cay||O-15||Islet||The Ancient Isles|
|Black Sand Atoll||O-3||Islet||The Wilds|
|Black Water Enclave||R-5||Islet||The Wilds|
|Blind Man's Lagoon||N-6||Islet||The Wilds|
|Booty Isle||K-20||Islet||The Ancient Isles|
|Boulder Cay||G-5||Islet||The Shores of Plenty|
|Brimstone Rock||X-18||Islet||The Devil's Roar|
|Castaway Isle||K-14||Islet||The Ancient Isles|
|Chicken Isle||I-16||Islet||The Ancient Isles|
|Cinder Islet||U-14||Islet||The Devil's Roar|
|Cursewater Shores||Y-13||Islet||The Devil's Roar|
|Cutlass Cay||M-18||Islet||The Ancient Isles|
|Flame's End||V-19||Islet||The Devil's Roar|
|Fools Lagoon||I-14||Islet||The Ancient Isles|
|Forsaken Brink||U-16||Islet||The Devil's Roar|
|Glowstone Cay||Z-18||Islet||The Devil's Roar|
|Isle of Last Words||O-9||Islet||The Wilds|
|Lagoon of Whispers||D-12||Islet||The Shores of Plenty|
|Liar's Backbone||S-11||Islet||The Wilds|
|Lonely Isle||G-8||Islet||The Shores of Plenty|
|Lookout Point||I-20||Islet||The Ancient Isles|
|Magma's Tide||Y-20||Islet||The Devil's Roar|
|Mutineer Rock||N-19||Islet||The Ancient Isles|
|Old Salts Atoll||F-18||Islet||The Ancient Isles|
|Paradise Spring||L-17||Islet||The Ancient Isles|
|Picaroon Palms||I-4||Islet||The Shores of Plenty|
|Plunderer's Plight||Q-6||Islet||The Wilds|
|Rapier Cay||D-8||Islet||The Shores of Plenty|
|Roaring Sands||U-21||Islet||The Devil's Roar|
|Rum Runner Isle||H-9||Islet||The Shores of Plenty|
|Salty Sands||G-3||Islet||The Shores of Plenty|
|Sandy Shallows||D-5||Islet||The Shores of Plenty|
|Scorched Pass||X-11||Islet||The Devil's Roar|
|Scurvy Isley||K-4||Islet||The Wilds|
|Sea Dog's Rest||C-11||Islet||The Shores of Plenty|
|Shark Tooth Key||P-13||Islet||The Wilds|
|Shiver Retreat||Q-11||Islet||The Wilds|
|Tri-Rock Isle||R-10||Islet||The Wilds|
|Twin Groves||H-11||Islet||The Shores of Plenty|
|Ashen Reaches||V-23||Island||The Devil's Roar|
|Cannon Cove||G-10||Island||The Shores of Plenty|
|Crescent Isle||B-9||Island||The Shores of Plenty|
|Crook's Hollow||M-16||Island||The Ancient Isles|
|Devil's Ridge||P-19||Island||The Ancient Isles|
|Discovery Ridge||E-17||Island||The Ancient Isles|
|Fetcher's Rest||V-12||Island||The Devil's Roar|
|Flintlock Peninsula||W-14||Island||The Devil's Roar|
|Kraken's Fall||R-12||Island||The Wilds|
|Lone Cove||H-6||Island||The Shores of Plenty|
|Marauder's Arch||Q-3||Island||The Wilds|
|Mermaid's Hideaway||B-13||Island||The Shores of Plenty|
|Old Faithful Isle||M-4||Island||The Wilds|
|Plunder Valley||G-16||Island||The Ancient Isles|
|Ruby's Fall||Y-16||Island||The Devil's Roar|
|Sailor's Bounty||C-4||Island||The Shores of Plenty|
|Shark Bait Cove||H-19||Island||The Ancient Isles|
|Shipwreck Bay||M-10||Island||The Wilds|
|Smugglers' Bay||F-3||Island||The Shores of Plenty|
|Snake Island||K-16||Island||The Ancient Isles|
|The Crooked Masts||O-11||Island||The Wilds|
|The Devil's Thirst||W-21||Island||The Devil's Roar|
|The Sunken Grove||P-7||Island||The Wilds|
|Thieves' Haven||L-20||Island||The Ancient Isles|
|Wanderers Refuge||F-12||Island||The Shores of Plenty|
Uncharted Locations[edit | edit source]
There are a number of "uncharted" locations that do not appear on the Map.
Shipwrecks are uncharted and spawn randomly at predetermined map locations.
Some locations are uncharted and unnamed:
Uncharted Islands[edit | edit source]
Uncharted Islands players can explore:
- I-12 and J-12: Two small, empty islands with no items or resources. The only thing of interest on land is a broken tent, hinting that there were castaways or shipwreck survivors on the island. There are some underwater ruins (a stone gate and building foundations) similar to those found at another island. There is also a cave system that leads to an exit out in the coral reef. There are multiple shipwrecks and a large coral reef surrounding the islands, and an oceanic trench nearby where at the very bottom lies a large skeleton of an unknown sea monster. There are also underwater ruins of a temple complex similar in design and layout to the temple located at N-13, with a stone altar with a triangular hole in it. Since The Hungering Deep event, the shipwreck of The Killer Whale can be found here with its mast sticking out of the water. Some players have started calling the uncharted island Killer Whale Island or Orca Isle after the sunken ship.
- K-9: A crescent formation of land with an old shipwreck in the center pool overgrow by coral, with evidence on the land of people surviving there for some time (hammock, pots, skeletons, chains). Two skeletons can be found, one lay against a boulder, the other sitting at the edge of a cliff in slumped position. It appears they killed each other during a fight or duel. There's an underwater cave system that leads to a small candlelit cavern that contains some Barrels. Some player have named this island Dog Island or Canine Island as a joke, since the uncharted island is now located on the coordinates K-9, as K-9 is a common reference to dogs, or "canines."
- N-13: Small land and rock formations with an underwater cave system that leads to a dark, hollow air pocket chamber, containing an ancient tribal statue. There are also large number of shipwrecks laying around from the Island and a temple hidden within an cave system underneath the coral reef located West from Island, with also has a stone altar with triangular hole in it. No items or resources. Since the Anniversary Update event, the shipwreck of the Magpie's Wing, with debris scattered on the west beach. Some players have started calling the uncharted island Magpie's Fall after the sunken ship.
Rocky Islands[edit | edit source]
Rock formations jutting out of water, which cannot be explored on foot:
- Arches Peak (K-11): A group of four slanted rocky islands surrounding one large rocky island with triangle-shaped arch and a towering peak. Before the Forsaken Shores, the rocky islands were located at the very center of the Map on the borders of M-13, M-14, N-13, and N-14. Unlike other rocky islands that are normally surround by choppy waters, the water surrounding these tends to be calm. With Anniversary Update, The Glorious Sea Dog was built onto the peak to house the Sea Dogs.
- Thread-the-Needle Rock (J-14): A group of five rocky islands with the one in middle being a large arch-shaped rock formation located North from Snake Island. Fans have named this rock formation “Thread-the-Needle Rock” as its small archway presents a challenge for crews to navigate through.
- The Maze: Fan name for a group of six or five oddly-shaped rocky islands of various sizes located North-by-Northwest of Ancient Spire Outpost. Its passage is generally too narrow to sail through with a Galleon, but skilled Sloop crews might safely sail through.
- Pinky Rock: Fan name for a rocky island located east of Shark Bait Cove.
- Silent Watchers: Fan name for four large jagged rocky islands surrounding the Isle of Last Words.
- Happy Fish Rock Fan name for a big rock formation located North from Isle of Last Word just offshore, which happens to look like a giant fish that is happy splashing in the water.
Sea Volcanoes[edit | edit source]
Introduced in the Forsaken Shores, Sea Volcanoes are large rock formations within the Devil's Roar that erupted once in while, making sailing and navigating through the Devil's Roar treacherous. Most are positioned such that multiple small islands are within the range of their eruptions. Sea volcanoes can be found at X-12, V-15, Y-19, V-20, and Y-25.