The Megalodon is a giant species of shark that roams the Open Waters of the Sea of Thieves. Megalodons prey on player Ships on the open seas. The original 'Meg' (The Hungering One) was added in The Hungering Deep Update. Additional varieties of Megalodon (i.e. the Crested Queen, the Shadowmaw, the Ancient Terror and the Shrouded Ghost) were added with the Shrouded Spoils Update.
The Encounter[edit | edit source]
Megalodons are vicious predators that appear around Player Ships on Open Seas. A Megalodon encounter begins when the tense Megalodon theme song starts playing, after which, the Meg appears out of the deep sea behind the Ship and starts circling it until the Ship sails out of its hunting grounds or the Meg is defeated. There are five types of Megalodon species who vary in colouration and rarity. Each Megalodon Encounter assigns the meg an unique type and personality, with some Megalodons being more aggressive and others taking their time and laying low. A Megalodon can attack the Ship by charging at it, which is accompanied by an even tenser chorus of violins. The charge heavily damages players and the ship, knocking both back. Megalodon difficulty is scaled to the size of the Ship. Defeating a Megalodon takes around 12-15 cannonball hits on a Sloop, around 15-18 cannonball hits on a Brigantine and around 30-32 cannonball hits on a Galleon. Sloops and Brigantines also take less damage from the Megalodon Charge.
Megalodon Species[edit | edit source]
There are five different species of Megalodons, listed in order of increasing rarity.
- The Hungering One; blue Megalodon, which could appear with a glowing fin of various colours and has green eyes.
- The Crested Queen; purple variant with a purple glowing fin and eyes.
- The Shadowmaw: dark skin and a red glowing fin and eyes.
- The Ancient Terror: golden-green Megalodon variant with a neon green fin and eyes.
- The Shrouded Ghost: the rarest Megalodon with white-gray skin and peach fin and eyes. Despite its name, it can be encountered just about anywhere on the open sea.
Mechanics and tips[edit | edit source]
- Megalodons can spawn anywhere in the wide-open sea, however they will not go near Outposts, Islands, Seaposts or Shipwrecks, so if you want to get rid of a meg that's chasing you, sail close to one of these landmarks.
- Megalodon are more likely to appear if a Crew's ship has Treasure on board.
- Every Megalodon has its own hunting grounds area that it will not leave.
- Once targeted, Megalodons will circle your ship, sometimes laying low in the water to conceal its location, sometimes charging at the ship, playing different musical cues in each phase.
- The Megalodon Charge is the main threat of the encounter, leaving the ship with 1-5 Holes depending on the ship's size. A sloop takes only one 1-2 holes worth of damage. 2-6 cannon shots in the charging Megalodon's mouth will disrupt its charge, leaving fewer holes in the hull and negating its knock-back effects.
- As with the Kraken, Megalodons drop 1 to 5 random items from all the available treasure pools with the exception of the Chest of Legends, Gunpowder Barrels and Box of Wondrous Secrets. They have a high chance to drop Skeleton level items like the Skeleton Captain's Chest and the Skeleton Captain's Skull. Upon death, the Megalodon will also leave behind 3-5 pieces of Megalodon meat, which can be cooked and then sold to The Hunter's Call.
- A Megalodon charge does as much damage as a shark-bite and knocks the player back (and gives you the same lantern colour in the Ferry of the Damned), so a player should make sure they have more than 50% health when charged by one.
- Like any combat situation, the Megalodon event also tends to increase the spawn of regular Sharks in nearby waters.
- Cursed Cannonballs have no effect on Megalodons.
- Skeleton Ships and Islands will shoot at Megalodons and if they hit it before the player, the Megalodon will focus on the skeletons. Interestingly, a Megalodon has no way of attacking Skeletons that shoot at it from Island cannons, leaving them swimming and charging close to the island until the skeleton gets lucky enough to kill the Megalodon.
- The Megalodon can be harpooned in order to position the ship into a more fitting position to attack it or it can be used to travel more quickly as the Megalodon will drag ships around at astonishing speeds when harpooned.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
Upon defeat, Megalodons drop Treasure Chests, Crates, Trinkets, Bounty Skulls , Mermaid Gems and Messages in Bottles, except a Chest of Legends, Gunpowder Barrels and a Box of Wondrous Secrets. Megalodons also seem to have a higher chance of dropping a Skeleton Captain's Chest or a Skeleton Captain's Skull. With The Seabound Soul update, Megalodons now have the chance to drop an Ashen Chest once they are defeated. The loot will drop at the exact location where the Megalodon was slain. They will also drop around 3-5 pieces of Megalodon Meat, which, when cooked, can be sold to The Hunter's Call for the following prices:
Commendations[edit | edit source]
Main Article: Commendations
Shrouded Spoils Commendations[edit | edit source]
|Hunter of The Hungering One||Defeat The Hungering One|
|Hunter of The Crested Queen||Defeat The Crested Queen|
|Hunter of The Shadowmaw||Defeat The Shadowmaw|
|Hunter of The Ancient Terror||Defeat The Ancient Terror|
|Hunter of The Shrouded Ghost||Defeat The Shrouded Ghost|
Note: the Hungering Deep released before the Bilge Rats adventures and doubloons. Completing the campaign consisted of travelling all over the sea and following Merrick's progress hunting and being hunted by the Hungering One via journals and in-game paintings. The players then had to get a song from Merrick and 'carry' it through continuous play to T-26, play it with another crew (at least 5 players total) and fight the Hungering One. The rewards for all of this were a Sharkhunter figurehead, speaking trumpet, drum, tattoo set and scar set.
The Athena's Fortune Commendations[edit | edit source]
- Legendary Hunter of The Hungering One -> Defeat The Hungering One 50 times as a Pirate Legend
- Legendary Hunter of The Crested Queen -> Defeat The Crested Queen 50 times as a Pirate Legend
- Legendary Hunter of The Shadowmaw -> Defeat The Shadowmaw 50 times as a Pirate Legend
- Legendary Hunter of The Ancient Terror -> Defeat The Ancient Terror 50 times as a Pirate Legend
- Legendary Hunter of the Shrouded Ghost -> Defeat The Shrouded Ghost 5 times as a Pirate Legend
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Hungering One is the first and original Megalodon in the game.
- The The Hungering Deep official summary was: "Something old, fast and hungry is surfacing. Follow the trail of riddles and rumours. We hope you live to tell the tale."
- The Deckhand Guess for Gold Competition from August 22nd, 2019 stated that 11 Shrouded Ghosts were killed between the 21st and 22nd of August, 2019.
- The Deckhand Guess for Gold Competition from January 28, 2019 stated that 7,857 Megalodons were killed between January 22nd - January 23rd, 2020.