The Megalodon is a giant shark in Sea of Thieves. The original 'Meg' (The Hungering One) was added in The Hungering Deep. Additional varieties (the Crested Queen, the Shadowmaw, the Ancient One and the Shrouded Ghost) were added with the Shrouded Spoils update.
Summary[edit | edit source]
The Megalodons are vicious predators that appear around pirates at sea, different versions spawn less frequently and have unique attack patterns. They sometimes remain passive, but otherwise start to encircle its target before charging the ship for major damage and knockback. Defeating a Megalodon takes around 15 cannonball hits or 300 rifle shots on average.
Megalodon Species[edit | edit source]
There are five different species of Megalodons, which vary in aggression and rarity. Those with higher aggression levels are less likely to be found and have higher HP values (unconfirmed).
- The Hungering One; is a blue Megalodon, which could appear with a glowing fin.
- The Crested Queen; is the purple variant with a purple glowing fin.
- The Shadowmaw; has a darker skin color than The Hungering One, but has a red glowing fin. The Shadowmaw is rumoured to be more defensive and sly.
- The Ancient Terror; is a golden green Megalodon variant and can be recognized by its shiny golden/green fin.
- The Shrouded Ghost; is a white variant with a pink fin and pink eyes which is the rarest variant. Only a few have witnessed this grand megalodon move. It is rumoured to have a higher chance of appearing in Fog, but some brave adventurers tell tales of spotting the ghost on clear days.
Mechanics and tips[edit | edit source]
- Megalodons will not go near islands and will eventually leave if you stay near one.
- As of The Shrouded Spoils, all of the Megalodons drop random treasure from all of the available treasure pools and have been found to drop Captain's chests and skulls, Fortress chests and skulls and Forsaken Shores (Devil's Roar) items.
- A musical cue will accompany a Megalodon's charge. The charge will leave from 3-5 holes, however 2-3 cannon shots in the charging Megalodon's mouth will disrupt its charge, leaving just one small hole.
- A Megalodon charge does as much damage as a shark-bite (and gives you the same lantern colour in the Ferry of the Damned), so a player should make sure they have more than 50% health when charged by a one.
- Depending on the variation of Megalodon, they will (supposedly) charge after 3-10 Pistol or Eye of Reach shots. You should time this so that the Megalodon charges the portion of your ship you want them to charge: the side if you want to use your cannons to blunt their charge, or the back if you are trying to minimize damage.
- The Megalodon event also tends to increase the spawn of sharks in the nearby waters.
- Skeletons both on Skeleton Ships and Islands will shoot at Megalodons and if they hit it before the player, the Megalodon will focus on the skeletons. Interestingly, a Megalodon has no way of attacking Skeletons that shoot at it from Island cannons, leaving them swimming and charging close to the island until the skeleton gets lucky enough to kill the Megalodon.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
Any type of Megalodon drops Treasure Chests, Trinkets, Bounty Skulls and Messages in Bottles, except a Chest of Legends and a Box of Wondrous Secrets once defeated. The loot will drop at the exact location where the Megalodon was slain. They will also drop around 3-5 pieces of Megalodon Meat, which, when cooked, can be sold to The Hunter's Call for the following prices
Commendations[edit | edit source]
|Hunter of The Hungering One||Defeat The Hungering One|
|Hunter of The Crested Queen||Defeat The Crested Queen|
|Hunter of The Shadowmaw||Defeat The Shadowmaw|
|Hunter of The Ancient Terror||Defeat The Ancient Terror|
|Hunter of The Shrouded Ghost||Defeat The Shrouded Ghost|
Note: the Hungering Deep released before the Bilge Rats adventures and doubloons. Completing the campaign consisted of travelling all over the sea and following Merrick's progress hunting and being hunted by the Hungering One via journals and in-game paintings. The players then had to get a song from Merrick and 'carry' it through continuous play to T-26, play it with another crew (at least 5 players total) and fight the Hungering One. The rewards for all of this were a Sharkhunter figurehead, speaking trumpet, drum, tattoo set and scar set.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The The Hungering Deep official summary was: "Something old, fast and hungry is surfacing. Follow the trail of riddles and rumours. We hope you live to tell the tale."