The Megalodon is a giant shark in Sea of Thieves. The original 'Meg' (The Hungering One) was added in The Hungering Deep. Additional varieties (the Crested Queen, the Shadowmaw, the Ancient One and the Shrouded Ghost) were added with the Shrouded Spoils update.
Summary[edit | edit source]
The Megalodons are giant shark-like creatures roaming the seas that follow and attack pirates at any time.
Megalodon Species[edit | edit source]
There are five different species of Megalodons, which vary in aggression and rarity. Those with higher agression levels are less likely to be found and have higher HP values.
- The Hungering One; is a blue Megalodon, which could appear with a glowing fin on his back.
- The Crested Queen; is the purple variant with a purple glowing fin.
- The Shadowmaw; has a darker skin color than The Hungering One, but has a red glowing fin.
- The Ancient Terror; is a golden Megalodon variant and can be recognised by its shiny golden fin.
- The Shrouded Ghost; is a white variant with a pink fin and pink eyes which is the rarest variant.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
Any type of Megalodon drops Treasure Chests, Trinkets, Bounty Skulls and Messages in Bottles, except a Chest of Legends and a Box of Wondrous Secrets once defeated. The loot will drop at the exact location where the Megalodon was slain.
Tips and Tricks[edit | edit source]
- Megalodons will not go near islands and will eventually leave if you stay near one.
- Megalodon's do not attack frequently and can be mitigated/ ignored if you do not want to fight them.
- As of The Shrouded Spoils, all of the Megalodon's drop random treasure from all of the available treasure pools and have been found to drop Captain's chests and skulls, Fortress chests and skulls and Forsaken Shores (Devil's Roar) items.
- Depending on the variation of Megalodon, they will charge after 3-10 Pistol or Eye of Reach shots. You should time this so that the Megalodon charges the portion of your ship you want them to charge: the side if you want to use your cannons to blunt their charge, or the back if you are trying to minimize damage.
- A musical cue will accompany the Megalodon's charge. Depending on the variety, 2 or 3 cannon shots in the mouth will disrupt its charge, causing it to do minimal damage to the ship (1 plank only) instead of 3 to 5 holes.
Commendations[edit | edit source]
|Hunter of The Hungering One||Defeat The Hungering One|
|Hunter of The Crested Queen||Defeat The Crested Queen|
|Hunter of The Shadowmaw||Defeat The Shadowmaw|
|Hunter of The Ancient Terror||Defeat The Ancient Terror|
|Hunter of The Shrouded Ghost||Defeat The Shrouded Ghost|
Note: the Hungering Deep came out before the Bilge Rats adventures and doubloons. Completing the campaign consisted of travelling all over the sea and following Merrick's progress hunting and being hunted by the Hungering One via journals and in-game paintings. Merrick resided at a camp fire on the southern beach of Shark Bait Cove. The players then had to get a song from Merrick and 'carry' it through continuous play to T-26, play it with another crew (at least 5 players total) and fight the Hungering One. The rewards for all of this were a Sharkhunter figurehead, speaking trumpet, drum, tattoo set and scar set.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- As of now, the Megalodon is a regular beast in the game, with each having different personalities; some are friendly and avoid your ship... others are more aggressive.
- The The Hungering Deep official summary was: "Something old, fast and hungry is surfacing. Follow the trail of riddles and rumours. We hope you live to tell the tale."