In addition to the physical locations listed below, the Ferry of the Damned is a ghost ship seen only by players who die. Players are transported here while they await respawning.
Location types[edit | edit source]
- Fortresses: Islands with fortifications, spawns skeletons during a fortress raid.
- Outposts: Islands with shops, trading companies, and no monsters.
- Islands: Regular islands that contain resources and monsters, and are voyaged to during quests.
- Shipwrecks: Sunken ships that contain resources, and sometimes treasure chests. And skulls, or even trading crates for the merchant alliance.
Regions[edit | edit source]
The Sea of Thieves map is divided into three regions. Each region is intended to have its own distinct theme and feel.
- The Shores of Plenty: Comprises the North-West portion of the Map. It is composed mainly of small desert islands and islands with white sandy beaches and lush palm trees. The Sea of Thieves developers have stated that this region's feel was inspired by the Caribbean during the Golden Age of Piracy, along with a touch of Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean films.
- The Ancient Isles: Comprises the Southern portion of the map. It is composed mainly of large islands full of mystery and ancient hideaways of pirate crews that used to sail these seas. The Sea of Thieves developers have stated that this region's feel was inspired by the Indiana Jones film franchise, in terms of adventure, exploring ancient ruins, and solving their mysteries; along with old swashbuckling adventure stories and pirate legends.
- The Wilds: Comprises the North-East portion of the map. It is composed mainly of "haunted" and deserted islands containing the remains of deceased pirates. The Sea of Thieves developers have stated that they wanted this region to feel darker and more threatening, with near-permanent cloud cover and native plant life slowly withering and dying.
Specific locations[edit | edit source]
|Ancient Spire Outpost||V-21||Outpost||The Ancient Isles|
|Dagger Tooth Outpost||Q-8||Outpost||The Wilds|
|Galleon's Grave Outpost||X-9||Outpost||The Wilds|
|Golden Sands Outpost||E-12||Outpost||The Shores of Plenty|
|Plunder Outpost||M-22||Outpost||The Ancient Isles|
|Sanctuary Outpost||G-7||Outpost||The Shores of Plenty|
|Barnacle Cay||T-19||Small Island||The Ancient Isles|
|Black Sand Atoll||T-3||Small Island||The Wilds|
|Black Water Enclave||X-5||Small Island||The Wilds|
|Blind Man's Lagoon||S-6||Small Island||The Wilds|
|Booty Isle||N-25||Small Island||The Ancient Isles|
|Boulder Cay||H-5||Small Island||The Shores of Plenty|
|Castaway Isle||M-16||Small Island||The Ancient Isles|
|Chicken Isle||K-19||Small Island||The Ancient Isles|
|Cutlass Cay||Q-22||Small Island||The Ancient Isles|
|Fools Lagoon||K-17||Small Island||The Ancient Isles|
|Isle of Last Words||S-10||Small Island||The Wilds|
|Lagoon of Whispers||D-15||Small Island||The Shores of Plenty|
|Liar's Backbone||Y-13||Small Island||The Wilds|
|Lonely Isle||I-9||Small Island||The Shores of Plenty|
|Lookout Point||L-25||Small Island||The Ancient Isles|
|Mutineer Rock||R-24||Small Island||The Ancient Isles|
|Old Salts Atoll||G-23||Small Island||The Ancient Isles|
|Paradise Spring||O-21||Small Island||The Ancient Isles|
|Picaroon Palms||K-4||Small Island||The Shores of Plenty|
|Plunderer's Plight||W-6||Small Island||The Wilds|
|Rapier Cay||D-9||Small Island||The Shores of Plenty|
|Rum Runner Isle||J-11||Small Island||The Shores of Plenty|
|Salty Sands||I-3||Small Island||The Shores of Plenty|
|Sandy Shallows||E-5||Small Island||The Shores of Plenty|
|Scurvy Isley||N-4||Small Island||The Wilds|
|Sea Dog's Rest||B-13||Small Island||The Shores of Plenty|
|Shark Tooth Key||U-15||Small Island||The Wilds|
|Shiver Retreat||V-13||Small Island||The Wilds|
|Tri-Rock Isle||W-11||Small Island||The Wilds|
|Twin Groves||I-13||Small Island||The Shores of Plenty|
|Cannon Cove||H-11||Large Island||The Shores of Plenty|
|Crook's Hollow||Q-19||Large Island||The Ancient Isles|
|Devil's Ridge||U-24||Large Island||The Ancient Isles|
|Discovery Ridge||E-24||Large Island||The Ancient Isles|
|Kraken's Fall||X-15||Large Island||The Wilds|
|Lone Cove||J-6||Large Island||The Shores of Plenty|
|Marauder's Arch||V-3||Large Island||The Wilds|
|Mermaid's Hideaway||B-16||Large Island||The Shores of Plenty|
|Old Faithful Isle||Q-4||Large Island||The Wilds|
|Plunder Valley||H-19||Large Island||The Ancient Isles|
|Sailor's Bounty||B-3||Large Island||The Shores of Plenty|
|Shark Bait Cove||I-24||Large Island||The Ancient Isles|
|Shipwreck Bay||Q-12||Large Island||The Wilds|
|Smugglers' Bay||F-3||Large Island||The Shores of Plenty|
|Snake Island||N-19||Large Island||The Ancient Isles|
|The Crooked Masts||T-13||Large Island||The Wilds|
|The Sunken Grove||T-8||Large Island||The Wilds|
|Thieves' Haven||P-24||Large Island||The Ancient Isles|
|Wanderers Refuge||H-14||Large Island||The Shores of Plenty|
|Hidden Spring Keep||K-9||Fortress||The Shores of Plenty|
|Keel Haul Fort||C-7||Fortress||The Shores of Plenty|
|Kraken Watchtower||O-6||Fortress||The Wilds|
|Lost Gold Fort||J-21||Fortress||The Ancient Isles|
|Old Boot Fort||P-17||Fortress||The Ancient Isles|
|Sailor's Knot Stronghold||E-17||Fortress||The Shores of Plenty|
|Shark Fin Camp||U-5||Fortress||The Wilds|
|Skull Keep||U-11||Fortress||The Wilds|
|The Crow's Nest Fortress||S-22||Fortress||The Ancient Isles|
Uncharted Locations[edit | edit source]
There are a number of "uncharted" locations that do not appear on the Map.
All Shipwrecks are also uncharted. They spawn at random, unpredictable Map coordinates.
Some locations are uncharted and unnamed:
Uncharted Islands[edit | edit source]
Uncharted Islands players can explore:
- L-14 & L-15: Two small empty islands with no items or resources, only thing of interest on land is a broken tent, hinting that there were castaways or shipwreck survivors on the island. There are some underwater ruins (a stone gate and building foundations) similar to those found at S-16. There is also a cave system that leads to an exit out in the corral reef. There are multiple shipwrecks and a large coral reef surrounding the islands, and an oceanic trench nearby where at the very bottom lies a large skeleton of an unknown sea monster. There are also underwater ruins of a temple complex similar in desinge and layout to the temple located at S-10, with an stone altar with triangular hole in it.
- N-10: A crescent formation of land with an old shipwreck in the center pool overgrow by coral, with evidence on the land of people surviving there for some time (hammock, pots, skeletons, chains). There's an underwater cave system that leads to a small candlelit cavern that contains some Barrels that contain resources.
- S-16: Small land and rock formations with an underwater cave system that leads to a dark, hollow air pocket chamber, containing an ancient tribal statue. There are also large number of shipwrecks laying around the Island and a temple hidden within an cave system underneath the coral reef, with also has a stone altar with triangular hole in it. No items or resources.
Rocky Islands[edit | edit source]
Rock formations jutting out of water, which cannot be explored on foot:
- M-13 / M-14 / N-13 / N-14: A group of four slanted rocky islands surrounding one large rocky island with triangle-shaped arch and a towering peak. Located at the very center of the Map on the borders of M-13, M-14, N-13, and N-14. Unlike other rocky islands that are normally surround by choppy waters, the water surrounding these tends to be calm. It is hinted in the concept art and in-game map in startup screen/intro that these rock formations have something to do with the end-game and/or Athena's Fortune, an mysterious treasure of unbelievable wealth that is hidden some within the Sea of Thieves.
- M-18: A group of five rocky islands with the one in middle being a large arch-shaped rock formation located North from Snake Island. Fans have named this rock formation “Thread-the-Needle Rock” as its small archway presents a challenge for crews to navigate through.
- Leviathan Rock: Fan name for a large rocky island located East from Rapier Cay.
- The Maze: Fan name for a group of six or five oddly-shaped rocky islands of various sizes located North-by-Northwest of Ancient Spire Outpost. Its passage is generally too narrow to sail through with a Galleon, but skilled Sloop crews might safely sail through.
- Pinky Rock: Fan name for a rocky island located east of Shark Bait Cove.
- Silent Watchers: Fan name for four large jagged rocky islands surrounding the Isle of Last Words.
Off-The-Map[edit | edit source]
- Off-Map Region: The off-the-map area that surrounds the Sea of Thieves Map. Any ship that dares to sail off the map soon find themselves in peril as the water and sky become as red as blood. Sailing into this area causes increasingly severe, spontaneous holes to appear in the Ship's hull, until the Ship is quickly sunk. Haunting and eerie sounds can be heard here.