The Kraken is a massive, many tentacled squid-like creature that can attack any size ship in the Sea of Thieves. The Kraken was available in the original launch of Sea of Thieves, was disabled for a time and has received a minor overhaul in the Shrouded Spoils update.
Summary[edit | edit source]
The Kraken spawns under a ship, darkening the water into an inky-black pool and slowing the ship to a crawl and multiple tentacles rise from the waves. The tentacles attack by sucking players up to the tentacles, wrapping around and damaging the ship, and smacking the ship. The Kraken's blood splashes are poisonous and, when you swim in the darkened water, drowning speed is dramatically increased. The Kraken appears to be a timed encounter where the amount of loot spawned depends on the number of limbs defeated during the fight.
Rewards[edit | edit source]
The Kraken tentacles drop a Treasure Chest, Trinket, Bounty Skull or a Message in a Bottle, except a Chest of Legends and a Box of Wondrous Secrets once a tentacle is defeated. The loot will drop at the exact location where the tentacle was slain.
Tips and Tricks[edit | edit source]
- There is a musical queue and the water around your ship darkens when the Kraken attacks. Ship movement in the dark water is minimal, but not halted, so you can eventually move out of the dark water. As such, if you want to be sure not to move out of the Kraken encounter, raise your sails or drop your anchor.
- There are 4 "types" of arms to the Kraken:
- "Inhaler" arms make a wind graphic on the deck and suck a player up into the arm. To avoid getting sucked in, go below deck or do damage to the open, inhaling "mouth" on a nearby tentacle. Once trapped, you can still do many things, including swing your sword at parts of the Kraken, shoot your guns, eat bananas and so on. Keep your health full, as the Kraken will occasionally slap you on the water's surface, doing a large amount of damage. Eventually, the limb will throw you into the water a little ways from the ship.
- "Tangling" arms wrap around the body of your ship, causing a large number of holes over time and pulling the ship lower in the water, so that second deck holes are also dangerous. This tentacle is the most immediately dangerous arm of the Kraken, as it can sink your ship very quickly if left intact. Gun and sword damage will make it release, though each hit splashes poisonous Kraken blood on nearby attackers, so be careful or ready with bananas. It has been reported that one of the splayed out "heads" of the tentacles coincides with this arm and can be shot to make it release faster. Finally, at this time, the Brigantine is particularly vulnerable to this arm, as it covers the entrance into the lower deck, preventing traversal, repairing and bailing. Prioritize this arm!
- "Slapping" arms impact hard against the side of the ship, causing movement and damage similar to an explosive barrel. No special action is required against them, as they attack once and go back to normal.
- "Target" arms just float around sticking straight up for you to shoot.
- You begin drowning immediately under the dark water, so get to the surface, or better yet, to the ship.
- Shooting the open "mouths" on the tentacles seems to be the fastest way to defeat them, either getting more chances at loot, or dealing quickly with the more dangerous limbs.
- When the Kraken is defeated, the inky water rapidly retreats away toward a horizon.
- The Kraken, like the Megalodons, appears to drop loot pulled randomly from every other type of encounter in the game, so it can vary wildly from a castaway chest or crate of sugar, all the way up to a skull fort chest for each limb!
Commendations[edit | edit source]
|Kraken Hunter||Defeat the Kraken 1 Time||Unlocks Ability to Purchase Kraken Capstan|
|Master Kraken Hunter||Defeat the Kraken 5 Times||Master Kraken Hunter||Unlocks Ability to Purchase Kraken Helm|
|Legendary Kraken Hunter||Defeat the Kraken 10 Times||Legendary Kraken Hunter||Unlocks Ability to Purchase Kraken Cannons|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Many players in the community call the Kraken "Karen."
- At this time, there is no body or head on the Kraken, so don't bother looking. It's all arms. Yes, Rare knows we would like a body.
- Art found in the Art of Sea of Thieves promotional book implies inspiration for multiple types of Krakens, at least during the planning phase of game development.
- Krakens were shown in Sea of Thieves promotional images to be similar to the Krakens of sea folklore, being giant squid-like creatures that attack ships from under water with their enormous tentacles. While the material released concerning the Kraken have been short and largely obscure, it appeared to be greater than the size of some of the larger ships in the game, possibly as large as the Galleon, or even larger.
- Originally, the Kraken would only attack Galleons, did not drop loot and did not have the "slap attack."
- Krakens did not spawn in any of the pre-release versions, including the Final Beta, but were shown in teaser trailers for the full release.
- Evidence suggests that the Kraken only spawns while there is no active Skeleton Fort or Skeleton Ship Battle, i.e. no fort or ship cloud in the sky.
- Cannonballs and bullets seem to have the same effect on tentacles, which makes a Blunderbuss an effective weapon. However, the Kraken must be hit with cannonballs from your ship to then count towards commendations if you defeat it.