The Gold Hoarder
|This article is about the Skeleton Lord. For the Trading Company, see Gold Hoarders.|
|The Gold Hoarder|
|Related||[[Shores of Gold (Quest)]]|
The Gold Hoarder, also known by his human name Rathbone, is a Skeleton Lord with insatiable greed that created The Gold Hoarders Trading Company. He is featured in Tall Tales: Shores of Gold as the final boss.
Backstory[edit | edit source]
As a part of Ramsey Singh's crew aboard the Magpie’s Wing, Rathbone was one of the first known pirates to discover The Sea of Thieves. While Ramsey's idea of making pirating within The Sea of Thieves a "fair business", Rathbone rejected this idea and started stealing treasures with the intent to sell them to the outside world. He also stole the skeleton keys from Ramsey, which the captain had crafted as the only means of accessing the treasure chests. He then started the Gold Hoarders as a company that collected treasure from across the Sea of Thieves.
Rathbone heard about a Legendary Island beyond the Devil's Shroud filled with Gold. One way or another, Rathbone found the island, and wanted to take the Gold for himself. What he did not know, however, was that his crew had sabotaged his ship to make sure that he would never be able to leave with the Treasure. He found a throne in the inner sanctum of the island, which cursed his flesh and bones into Gold, eventually turning him into a Skeleton Lord. He returned to the Sea of Thieves and regained control of his company, spreading the curse among his followers.
Location[edit | edit source]
The Gold Hoarder can only be encountered during the Shores of Gold Tall Tale, where he acts as the final boss of both the Tale and the Story arc. Players will first have to navigate to Tribute Peak, solve all of its puzzles to gain access to the inner sanctum, then get through all the Traps and waves of Skeletons until they make it to the Throne Room. Once a player enters the room, Gold Hoarder will appear and the whole crew will be locked to respawn in the throne room until the Gold Hoarder is defeated.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
The Gold Hoarder acts virtually the same as the other Skeleton Lords of the Shores of Gold Story arc. He has a large amount of health and a range of various Skeleton Lord abilities at his disposal:
- He can switch between the Pistol, Blunderbuss and Cutlass depending on the player's range.
- He has a high-damage shockwave attack. He will jump in the air and stomp the ground, sending all nearby players backwards into the air, dealing increasing damage depending on your proximity to the boss.
- Summon Skeletons; this allows Skeleton reinforcements to overwhelm the enemy for him.
- Teleport; a defensive ability. He will disappear, retreat and appear in a new location.
- Eat a Banana to supposedly regenerate lost heath. The amount of health regenerated (if any) is currently unknown. It may be that the purpose of this action is to show him getting low on health.
Notes and Tips[edit | edit source]
- As with other Tall Tale Skeleton Lords, The Gold Hoarder's health scales with the amount of players in the throne room when the fight is started. If you are on a Galleon crew, have two of your players disconnect before starting the fight to downscale his health.
- When the Gold Hoarder summons reinforcements, larger Crews should dedicate one member to eliminate the firearm Skeletons, and another to to lure the Skeletons away while the rest work on killing the boss.
- Due to the enclosed space, there isn't much players can do other than going at the boss. Try to prepare for his attacks, by keeping a close eye on his slogans and actions. There should be food in the Barrels and Crates all around the room and there are at least two Ammo Chests. This fight can take very long on a Galleon crew, so be prepared to spend at least 20 minutes in there.