Mechanics[edit | edit source]
Fire is a lingering Hazard that continuously damages anything around it and can spread from source to source. Any Players or Skeletons that come to contact with Fire will start burning and taking damage over time. Contact with fire does about 33% damage to the Players until it disappears. Fire can spread between any burning Players and Skeletons upon contact.
Fire cannot spread on Land, but it can spread on the wood of the Ships. When a Ship is set on fire, it will slowly start spreading, tile by tile, damaging everything around it. Virtually any part of the Ship can be set on fire. Fire will slowly start causing damage to any Masts, Wheels, Capstans and walls of a Hull that it comes into contact with. It generally takes around 1-2 minutes of burning to cause a single Wooden Plank's worth of damage. Fire can also spread up the Masts, not even saving anything or anyone on the Ship's Crow's Nest from it. Skeleton Ships can catch Fire as well.
Fire on Ships and Players can be doused when upon contact with any source of Water. Players on Fire can simply walk into a body of water or use the Bucket to throw gathered water on themselves with the
Secondary Use Button(/). On a Ship, the most effective tools for fighting fire are the Water Barrel and the Bucket. A Bucket's worth of water is enough to extinguish up to three tiles of Fire on a Ship.
The Rain in Storms also extinguishes any Fires it comes in contact with.
Sources of Fire[edit | edit source]
Fire can be started by various sources:
- The most versatile and universal source of Fire in The Sea of Thieves is the Throwable Firebomb Item that can be found from Resource Barrels.
- Skeleton Ships sometimes shoot Firebombs out of their Cannons.
- Gunpowder Barrel explosions spread Fire to any Creatures or Ships in the blast radius.
- The Rocks falling from active Volcanoes quickly spread Fire around any hit Ships.
- Lightning strikes cause Fires, but these are usually quickly extinguished by the surrounding Rain.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Fires on Ships cause black smoke that can be seen from afar.
- Any Players on fire will hear an ominous sound and start coughing uncontrollably.
- Food left burning on a Ship's Stove for upwards of 5 minutes will cause Fires. Any fires from burning food that are doused will reignite if the food is left burning.
- The Masts of a Ship quickly go up in flames, detonating any Gunpowder Barrels that are placed on the Crow's Nest.
- Any Captured Animals on Ship will die to Fire.
- Any Animals killed by Fire leave behind Cooked or Burnt Meat.
- All Cargo Crates can be damaged by Fire.
- Campfires can ignite Players if close contact is made.
- Pets will try to hide from spreading Fire.
- It takes around 10 minutes to sink a Galleon, 7 minutes to sink a Brigantine and 12 minutes to sink a Sloop from one patch of fire.
- Fire can also be doused with a Bucket of Vomit as well!