Chest of Sorrow
|Chest of Sorrow|
|Sell to||Hoarders or |
The Servant of the Flame
|Base Gold Reward|
The Chest of Sorrow is a Cursed Treasure Chest in Sea of Thieves, that leaks water during periods of uncontrollable sobbing. Treasure Chests are locked with locks that can only be opened by Skeleton Keys held by Gold Hoarders on every Outpost. They are willing to buy these Chests for a fraction of their worth.
Cursed Effects[edit | edit source]
The Chest of Sorrow will periodically start crying, leaving a puddle of tears around it that, if left unattended on a ship, can quickly flood and sink the Ship. Its sobbing is very loud, making Chests of Sorrow easy to locate when nearby. The periods between, and duration of its sobbing vary.
To prevent the tears from sinking a ship, players must bail the water with buckets, or remove the chest the from the ship.
- On Galleons and Brigantines, one crew member may carry the chest on the side Ladders. This does work on Sloops, however the player must sit very low on the ship's side ladder.
- Place the chest on a Harpoon Rowboat, detach it from the ship and use the Harpoon to tow behind the ship.
Where to Find[edit | edit source]
Chests of Sorrow can be found from the following sources:
- Chance to dig up from X Marks the Spot Maps received from Quests or Voyages
- Chance to dig up from X Marks the Spot Maps received from Emergent Skeleton Captain Skeleton's Orders Quests
- Chance to find hidden on Islands, excluding Outposts, Seaposts and Forts
- Chance to find beached above or below the shorelines of Islands, excluding Outposts, Seaposts and Forts
- Chance to find inside sunken Shipwrecks on the seas
- Chance to find among Barrels of Plenty floating on the open Seas
- Chance to find on Skeleton Ships
- Chance to find inside completed Skeleton Fort Vaults
- Possible reward for defeating a Kraken tentacle
- Possible reward for defeating a Megalodon
Rewards[edit | edit source]
Sorrow Chests can be sold to:
- Hoarders stationed at Gold Hoarders tents on Outposts for Gold and Gold Hoarders Reputation and Emissary Value (if sailing as a Gold Hoarders Emissary)
- The Servant of the Flame at The Reaper’s Hideout for Gold and Reaper's Bones Reputation and Emissary Value (if sailing as a Reaper's Bones Emissary)
The following is the reward chart for sold Sorrow Chests:
|Emissary Grade||Gold (Min.)||Gold (Max.)||Emissary Value|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Picking up and placing Treasure Chests on a Ship for the first time gives Emissary Grade Reputation to Trading Company Emissaries representing the Gold Hoarders or Reaper's Bones.
- It is possible to get a Chest of Sorrows stuck inside the hull of a Galleon in several places, making it very difficult to retrieve the Chest, which will still continue filling up the ship when crying. In this case players will either have to sink their ship, or raise the water level high enough so that the stuck chest can be retrieved from outside the ship's Hull.
- All Treasure Chests emit a White Glint from a distance.
- Treasure Chests can be caught with a Harpoon.
- It is unconfirmed whether Sorrow Chests can spawn on Skeleton Ships, as the Chests would cause them to sink too quickly.
Pirate Chat[edit | edit source]
Here is the Pirate Chat Wheel of the Chest:
Commendations[edit | edit source]
- Hoarder of Treasured Tears → Sell 100 Chests of Sorrow to the Gold Hoarders
- Golden Tribute → Sell 600 Gold Hoarder Treasures while flying the Gold Hoarders Emissary Flag.
- Eminent Hoarder → Sell 320 Gold Hoarder Treasures while flying a Grade 5 Gold Hoarders Emissary Flag.
- Tributes Taken → Sell 480 Gold Hoarder Treasures to the Reaper's Bones
- Plundered Prizes → Sell 600 of any Trading Company items while flying the Reaper's Bones Emissary Flag.
- Fearless Reaper → Sell 320 of any Trading Company items while flying a Grade 5 Reaper's Bones Emissary Flag.
- Legendary Gold Hoarder → Sell 500 Chests as a Pirate Legend | Unlocks the Legendary Shovel and Legendary Compass for purchase
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- A female version of the Chest of Sorrow was originally planned.
- Players used to be able to stop a Ship from filling up when the Chest was crying by leaving it on a Rowboat docked on a Ship.