|Base Doubloon Reward||5|
An Ashen Chest is a type of a Container Chest in Sea of Thieves, which appears locked and must be unlocked using an Ashen Key. Ashen Chests are also a type of Bilge Rats Treasure that can be sold to the Bilge Rats both locked and unlocked for 5 Doubloons. Alternatively they can be sold to the Reaper's Bones for Doubloons and Reputation instead. Ashen Chests are always guaranteed to contain at least one random Ashen Tome aside other Treasure items.
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
Every Ashen Chest is found locked, requiring the Crew to find and use an Ashen Key to open the chest. Once opened, the Chests reveal three Treasure items. An opened Chest acts identically to any Container Chest, allowing the transportation of three small Treasure items.
Ashen Keys can be found from the following sources:
- Rewarded for solving an Ashen Key Master's Notes Quest that is dropped by Ashen Key Masters that appear during Skeleton Fort World Events or on Islands as Emergent Skeleton Captain spawns.
- Low chance to be caught with a Fishing Rod when not using any Bait.
Where to Find[edit | edit source]
Ashen Chests can be found from the following sources:
- 1 Guaranteed as a reward for solving an Ashen Guardian's Notes Quest, dropped by Ashen Guardians that appear during Skeleton Fort World Events or on Islands as Emergent Skeleton Captain spawn
- 1 Guaranteed inside a completed Skeleton Fort Vault
- 2 Guaranteed after defeating the Captain's Ship of a Skeleton Fleet
- Chance to find on Skeleton Ships
- Possible reward for defeating a Kraken tentacle
- Possible reward for defeating a Megalodon
- Guaranteed reward for an Ashen Chest Stash Voyage, bought from the Black Market for 50 or 65000
- Possible reward for defeating an Ashen Lord (Unlocked!)
Rewards[edit | edit source]
Treasure Pool[edit | edit source]
Every Ashen Chest opened with an Ashen Key will reveal 3 Treasure items:
- 1 guaranteed random Ashen Tome
- 2 additional Items that can be the following:
Ashen Chests received as rewards for an Ashen Lord Battle appear already opened and are more similar to Collector's Chests in that they have Gold and 0-3 Treasure items inside. The Treasure itself can be any of the regular Ashen Treasure Pool.
Selling Ashen Chests[edit | edit source]
Ashen Chests can be sold both locked and unlocked to:
- Larinna stationed in every Tavern for Bilge Rat Doubloons
- The Servant of the Flame at The Reaper’s Hideout for Doubloons and Reaper's Bones Reputation and Emissary Value (if sailing as a Reaper's Bones Emissary)
The following is the reward chart for sold Ashen Chests (only applicable when selling to the Reaper's Bones):
|Emissary Grade||Doubloons||Emissary Value|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- It is recommended to sell these Chests to the Reaper's Bones as they will offer increasing Doubloon, Reputation and Emissary Value multipliers for selling these items to The Servant of the Flame as Graded Reaper's Bones Emissaries. This bonus also applies to everything inside the Chest.
- All Commendations related to Ashen Chests can also be earned by selling them to the Reaper's Bones.
- Picking up and placing an Ashen Chest on a Ship for the first time gives Emissary Grade Reputation to Trading Company Emissaries representing the Reaper's Bones.
- Just as with other Container Chests, the following applies to Ashen Chests:
- An empty Ashen Chest can store up to three smaller Treasure Items, such as Artefacts, Bounty Skulls, Mermaid Gems, Keys, Treacherous Plunder, small Bilge Rats Treasure or Quest Items.
- An Ashen Chest hides the glow and quells the sounds of the Treasure Items inside, however the Chest itself can be seen from far away by a white glint typical to Treasure Chests.
- Container Chests are usually used to transport three smaller Treasure Items at one time to save time on turning in.
- Container Chests can be caught with a Harpoon.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Skeleton Glyphs on the Chest read as Flame and Resurrection
Commendations[edit | edit source]
- Plundered Prizes → Sell 600 of any Trading Company items while flying the Reaper's Bones Emissary Flag.
- Fearless Reaper → Sell 320 of any Trading Company items while flying a Grade 5 Reaper's Bones Emissary Flag.
- Ash Money → Sell an Ashen Chest. | +10
- Ashen Haul → Open 5 Ashen Chests. | +10
- Ashen Trove → Open 10 Ashen Chests. | +20
- Ashen Hoard → Open 30 Ashen Chests. | +30
- Tome Raider → Open a stolen Ashen Chest. | +10
Pirate Chat Wheel[edit | edit source]
Here is the Pirate Chat Wheel for the Ashen Chest: