“Vaults of the Ancients”
|Release Date||September 9, 2020|
The next free Sea of Thieves content update is here! In Vaults of the Ancients, the Gold Hoarders are tasking worthy pirates with seeking the keys to Treasure Vaults scattered across the seas. Finding these keys and the riches held within the Vaults will prove to be a challenge...
Read the release notes below to find out more about what’s included in the Vaults of the Ancients update, including gameplay and accessibility improvements and, of course, the canine corsairs stealing hearts over in the Pirate Emporium!
Vaults of the Ancients[edit | edit source]
With Flameheart unleashing ever more powerful servants onto the Sea of Thieves, the Gold Hoarders have lost faith in the security of their gold-filled Treasure Vaults. Only the most trusted adventurers are tasked with tracking down the hidden Vault Keys and bringing them home to the Hoarders... or going out and finding the locks they open!
Treasure Vault Voyages
- Voyages to seek the hidden Vault Keys are available from any of the Gold Hoarders’ representatives after reaching rank 25 in their Trading Company.
- The founder of the Bilge Rats, Larinna, has arrived to take Duke’s place at the tavern and is also offering Treasure Vault Voyages for the duration of this update.
- These new Voyages task players with uncovering a Vault Key's hidden location by seeking out the torn fragments of a map buried beneath the sand.
- To aid pirates on their journey, they’ll be given an enchanted Golden Wayfinder compass to help them find the elusive map pieces leading to the Vault Key.
- While Vault Keys can be returned to the Gold Hoarders (or The Reaper’s Bones) for a substantial reward, there are potentially even greater riches inside the Ancient Vaults that these keys unlock…
- Each key is unique to a specific Treasure Vault. Inspect a Vault Key for a clue to the Vault that it opens.
- Once a Treasure Vault has been opened, your crew will have a limited time to grab as much treasure as possible before the Vault is sealed once more. With piles of gold, treasure chests and trinkets to collect, what can you grab before the time runs out?
- For the Gold Hoarders’ true prize, search for the Vault Medallions and solve the altar’s mystery to reveal the Chest of Ancient Tributes.
- The Vault door will slowly close as time ticks on, so make sure you’re out before the timer reaches zero as being on the wrong side will see you consigned to the Ferry of the Damned!
Vaults of the Ancients Commendations
- New Commendations have been added which will grant players new Titles in addition to unlocking the Ancient Vault Sails and Ancient Vault Tribute Sails offered by Larinna.
Vaults of the Ancients Achievements
- New Xbox and Steam achievements can be unlocked by progressing through the new in-game Commendations. A total of 50 gamerscore is available to earn from this update, and these achievements will remain in the game indefinitely.
Vaults of the Ancients Events
- If Daily Bounties and the Gold Rush multiplier aren’t enough to fill your nautical calendar, head to the dedicated Events Hub for more information on the live events included in this update – including Hoarders vs. Reapers!
Pirate Emporium[edit | edit source]
Who Let the Dogs Out?
- Head to the Pirate Emporium to purchase a faithful new dog pet. There are three breeds to choose from: the wolf-like Alsatian, the confident Inu and the lively Whippet.
- Each ship now has a range of spots where your precious pup can rest its head.
- Pamper your pirate pooch and dress them up for adventures on the seas. Kraken, Bilge Rat and Sovereign Outfits are available for all breeds, while Pirate Legends and Champions of Athena’s Fortune can also purchase exclusive Legendary outfits.
Alsatian Sovereign Bundle
- For the duration of the Vaults of the Ancients update, players can pick up a discounted bundle with a feisty Alsatian and a new Sovereign outfit.
Dog Pack Bundle
- Want to give all the dogs a home? This is the bundle for you, offering all three dog breeds complete with fetching Bilge Rat outfits for a discounted price!
Shrouded Ghost Hunter Ship Collection
- As introduced by the Hunters of the Deep event, the Shrouded Ghost Hunter Set Ship Collection is now available from the Pirate Emporium in its complete form. A Shrouded Ghost Hunter Ship Bundle is also on offer, including all the regular ship cosmetics (without Collector’s variants) at a discount.
- A Hunters of the Deep Event Bundle allows players who took part in the event to pick up the remaining pieces without having to purchase the full set! This will be available for the duration of the Vaults of the Ancients update.
- Dress up as everyone’s favorite fabled creature and roam the seas hunting for enemies, loot and man-eating adventure.
- Defend yourself against enemies with the deadly bite of this blunderbuss!
Free Giveaway Emote
- Calling all budding hunters, chefs and pirate foodies – these four new emotes show your passion for the open seas.
Purchasing with Local Currency
- The Pirate Emporium now offers the option to make Pirate Emporium purchases in your local currency. The appropriately sized Ancient Coins bundle will be identified and purchased, and any Ancient Coins left over will be added to your account.
- When browsing the Emporium, all prices are now shown in both Ancient Coins and your local currency.
Bilge Dog Bundle (Store Only)
- Available only from the Xbox, Microsoft and Steam Stores. This bundle contains a handsome Inu complete with a Bilge Rat Outfit, plus your very own Bilge Rat Cutlass, Hat, Jacket, Shirt, Trousers and Sails, 550 Ancient Coins and a free 10,000 gold bonus for use in the Outpost shops! Head to the Microsoft Store or Steam Item Store to find out more.
Dog Days Bundle (Store Only)
- Available only from the Xbox, Microsoft and Steam Stores. This bundle contains one of each dog breed: fluffy Inu, nippy Whippet and steadfast Alsatian. It also comes with a Bilge Rat Outfit for each, 1000 Ancient Coins and a free 25,000 gold bonus for use in the Outpost shops! Head to the Microsoft Store or Steam Item Store to find out more.
Shrouded Ghost Hunter Bundle (Steam Only)
- Available only from the Steam Store. This bundle contains the savage Shrouded Ghost Hunter Ship Collection, matching weapon and costume, Hunter’s Call emotes, 4250 Ancient Coins and a free 25,000 gold bonus for use in the Outpost shops! Head to the Steam Item Store to find out more.
Black Market[edit | edit source]
The founder of the Bilge Rats, Larinna, has returned to Outpost society. She’s taken over Bilge Rat operations and has plans for the future, but for now she continues to offer Voyages, bring new stock to the Black Market and uphold the Black Market Archive in Duke’s stead.
Wild Rose Equipment
- Spend some Doubloons to pick up the pretty Wild Rose Bucket, Compass, Fishing Rod, Lantern, Pocket Watch, Shovel, Speaking Trumpet, Spyglass and Tankard at an initial discount before they head to the Black Market Archive!
Inky Kraken Clothing
- Adorn your pirate with the dreaded Inky Kraken Belt, Boots, Eyepatch, Gloves, Hook and Trousers, all purchasable with gold!
Gameplay Improvements[edit | edit source]
Slimline Island Banners
- Island name banners shown when approaching islands can now be reconfigured with new slimline banners (a simpler design using less screen space) or disabled completely.
- Banners can be selected by game mode in Gameplay Settings. ‘Island Banners in Adventure’ defaults to cinematic banners, while ‘Island Banners in Arena’ defaults to slimline.
Emissary Ledger Value
- When players hand in items while representing as an Emissary, there will now be an Emissary meter in the bottom left to show the value they’ve contributed to the Emissary Ledger and the increase after handing in items.
Updates[edit | edit source]
Loot Haul Memory Saving
- When collecting notable hauls of different loot in a single place, the game will now reach a threshold where it will optimise performance by changing the appearance of certain loot items. Items will return to their standard visuals when optimisation allows.
Accessibility[edit | edit source]
Single Stick Camera Accessibility
- Using the Left Trigger in Single Stick mode will swap player movement to the camera to enable looking around. When using this, players will be locked in place and only able to look around.
- If desired, the Left Trigger can be mapped to a different button. This feature also allows players to choose whether the button needs to be held, toggled or turned off.
- Players also have the option to turn off ‘Auto-Float’ and ‘Auto-Centre Camera’ to enable swimming down into shipwrecks.
Accessible UI Navigation
- ‘Circular Navigation’ option has been added to Accessibility Settings.
- When navigating any UI menu and reaching the end of a section with this setting enabled, players will now wrap around and return to the beginning.
- Scrolling off the bottom of a list of settings will now return to the top, while navigating off the right of a shop grid will now return to the left side of the grid.
Toggle to Talk?
- Sea of Thieves is continuing to improve accessibility by reducing ‘held’ actions. Previously ‘Push to Talk’ required the button to be held. Players now have the option to toggle it on and off instead.
Fixed Issues[edit | edit source]
- When opening the Quest Radial via a key binding, the ‘More’ button will now be present in the event of multiple pages of quests.
- The Pirate Chat Radial should no longer get stuck on the screen when using a ship interaction point.
- Sharks will deal damage to players floating on the water’s surface when attacking.
- Fixing a broken ship’s mast will no longer leave behind incorrect collision on the mast.
- Ghost Ships will no longer spawn at islands already populated by players.
- Players will now be ‘safe teleported’ if they become stuck on the Shores of Gold.
- Players should no longer be able to get underneath the island near Lost Gold Fort.
- Players should now be able to navigate out of the deep pit on Salty Sands.
- Players should no longer get stuck on the torch near the Gold Hoarders’ representative at Ancient Spire Outpost.
- Skeletons should no longer become stuck when exiting the cave on Ashen Reaches.
Combat and Hit Registration
- Players should no longer reach an invulnerable state if interacted with while reviving.
- Improved hit registration when standing on top of a ladder and shooting rival players directly below, such as on the crow’s nest and boarding ladders.
- Fire on the stairs of the sloop should now be much easier to extinguish.
- Skeletons now animate correctly when eating a banana during combat.
- Further improvements made to cannonball hit registration when firing at rival ships.
Visual and Audio
- The ‘Mute All Other Crew’ voice chat option should no longer become enabled during a game session or when transitioning between Arena contests.
Performance and Stability
- When an ethernet cable is disconnected, the game should now handle the error gracefully.
- Optimised Devil’s Roar islands to improve performance.
Known Issues[edit | edit source]
Treasure Vault Door Closing
- When raiding a Treasure Vault, crews may find that on rare occasion the Vault door appears to slam shut prematurely. This is purely a visual issue and the door can still be passed through until the timer reaches zero and the door shuts fully.
Mysterious Notes Availability
- When starting a session, players will not currently be issued with a Mysterious Note. This feature is being polished for introduction in a future content update.
Players Impacted Following Server Migration
- We are currently tracking a number of player-impacting issues which can occur following a server migration. These include crews migrating near Outposts finding themselves moved to a location where another ship is already present, and issues with ship interaction points following a migration.
Increased Latency and Server Correction
- In cases of high server density, some servers can exhibit performance hits leading to increased latency. This may result in lag spikes during gameplay, rubberbanding and server correction.
Ranged and Melee Weapon Hit Detection
- In areas of intense action, players may find themselves firing shots or landing strikes that do not cause damage to their targets. While improvements continue to be delivered during our content updates, this continues to be a key priority for the team.
Stuck UI Menus
- When interacting with a barrel and moving quickly through its inventory, players may find that the barrel’s state is not updated as items are removed. Players can also experience Game Options becoming stuck on screen when exiting a barrel in this state.
To learn more about known issues in Sea of Thieves currently being tracked and their status, head over to our Known Issues support site article.
Download and Installation[edit | edit source]
- Xbox One: 6.8 GB
- Xbox One X: 6.8 GB
- Windows 10: 6.61 GB
- Steam: 4.36 GB