|Release date||January 15th, 2020|
|← Previous||Next →|
A new year means new Sea of Thieves content to look forward to, in the form of the Legends of the Sea update! This latest treasure trove of activities and changes is an ode to the wonderful community that’s built up around Sea of Thieves since launch and the stories that it’s birthed. We’ll let the trailer tell you the rest!
Read the full release notes below for a comprehensive breakdown on everything Legends of the Sea has in store! Should you encounter any issues not acknowledged here, please head to the Sea of Thieves support site and raise a support request (using the button at the bottom of any article) to let the team know.
Legends of the Sea[edit | edit source]
After hearing rumours of undocumented legends from the Sea of Thieves, a new adventurer has made the journey through the Devil’s Shroud. The Lagoon of Whispers has become the new home of Umbra, a chronicler of legendary pirates.
- Legends of the Sea – Umbra has begun compiling a list of rumours and tales of legendary pirates, and now tasks players with unravelling their secrets. A new collection in the Bilge Rats Reputation tab has been added for Legends of the Sea – follow the clues and uncover the locations spread across the Sea of Thieves.
- Cosmetic ‘Appraisal’ – Umbra has heard of certain cosmetics having a special story to tell. Seek out these special cosmetics and equip them before talking to Umbra to learn a little more about their backstory.
- Legacy of the Sea – Along with tales of legendary pirates, Umbra has also begun chronicling tales from the storied past of the Sea of Thieves. Revisit locations from historical events to unlock this ever-growing legacy!
- Legends of the Sea Commendations and Rewards – Each legendary mark on the world has been catalogued into collections, with Commendations to earn for each story. Uncover stories from ‘The Sea’s Most Wanted’, The Daredevils’, ‘The Loveable Rogues’, ‘The Insatiable’, ‘The Swashbucklers’, ‘The Artistic Souls’, ‘The Piratical Jokers’, ‘The Pirate Scribes’, ‘The Gift Givers’ and the ‘The Early Settlers’ to unlock Doubloon rewards and unlock new tattoos themed to each collection, available from Umbra once unlocked!
Gilded Voyages[edit | edit source]
Stitcher Jim has suddenly vanished, and left in his place the ever-faithful Duke. Yes, after a particularly dangerous encounter, Duke has returned – a little bashed and scratched up, but with a tale to tell as always...
Duke is now offering a free Gilded Voyage which will earn pirates a range of high-value rewards, and even the allure of double rewards should they venture to The Reaper’s Hideout and cash them in with the Masked Stranger.
Duke has also heard rumours of a new volume of Tomes appearing across the seas: the Tomes of Fire. With new Commendations to unlock and Ashen Cosmetics to earn, seek out Ashen Chests and Ashen Keys to unlock the rewards held inside!
- Gilded Voyages – Duke is offering pirates a single Gilded Voyage apiece. Choose from a Gilded Hoard, Gilded Merchant Stash or Gilded Duel Voyage to earn high-value rewards! Pirate Legends can also choose a Gilded Voyage of Legends leading to multiple Chests of Legends.
- All Gilded Voyages are time-limited for the duration of the Legends of the Sea update.
- Reaper’s Bounty – There have recently been sightings of new glittering pillars of light reaching skyward. Upon reaching the source, pirates can pick up a Reaper’s Bounty! This acts like a Reaper’s Chest, but cashing it in to the Masked Stranger at The Reaper's Hideout will reward players with a fine haul of gold. Following the Legends of the Sea update, the Reaper’s Bounty and gold rewards will persist as an emergent encounter in the world.
- Reaper’s Chest Cash-In Location and Payout – Duke warns players he is no longer accepting Reaper’s Chests and directs players to deliver them to the Masked Stranger at The Reaper's Hideout. Due to the enhanced threat when delivering to this new location, pirates will now be rewarded with more Doubloons for each chest!
- Double Gold at The Reaper’s Hideout – Pirates can now sell Captain’s Chests, Villainous Skulls, Crates of Exotic Silks, Chests of Legends and even Ashen Chests of Legends to the Masked Stranger at The Reaper's Hideout for double gold!
- Ashen Treasures Commendations and Rewards: Volume 3 – Duke and the Outpost stores both have new stocks of Ashen cosmetics, rewarding pirates for collecting the next volume of Ashen Tomes hidden inside recovered Ashen Chests. In the Legends of the Sea update, Tomes of Fire can be recovered, allowing access to new Commendations and cosmetics including items from the clothing, weapon, item and ship sets. Tomes of Curses and Tomes of Power can still be found, allowing access to previous Ashen cosmetics.
- All Ashen Treasures Commendations and rewards will become a permanent addition to Outpost stores after the Legends of the Sea update.
- Ashen Treasures Achievements – A range of Xbox achievements has been added for unlocking in-game Commendations. A total of 35 gamerscore is available to earn from this update, and these achievements will persist in the game for future updates.
- Tome of Fire I [5G]
- Tome of Fire II [5G]
- Tome of Fire III [5G]
- Tome of Fire IV [5G]
- Tome of Fire V [5G]
- Tome of Fire Collector [10G]
Pirate Emporium[edit | edit source]
To start your new year off with a bang, the Pirate Emporium has been restocked with rare goods! Head to the Emporium from the Sea of Thieves main menu before jumping into the game, or at an Outpost via the store above the Order of Souls tent!
- Lunar Festival – Celebrate the new year with the Lunar Festival! The Pirate Emporium is putting out a range of seasonal options, so pick up a Festival Dragon outfit for your pets and themed equipment.
- These Lunar Festival items are time-limited for the duration of the Legends of the Sea update, so snatch them up before they return to the vault!
- Lunar Festival Discount Bundles – For this month only, you can pick up discounted bundles for the Macaw and Capuchin, each dressed in a Lunar outfit.
- Kraken Discount Bundles – For this month only, you can pick up discounted bundles for the Parakeet, Capuchin, Macaw, Marmoset and Cockatoo, each dressed in their Kraken outfits.
- Sovereign Emote Bundle – Bring some decorum back to the seas with the Sovereign Emote Bundle, with a fresh set of core emotes, and sail with distinction!
- Gold Hoarder Emote Bundle – Express yourself like a true Gold Hoarder with a range of themed emotes. Rub your hands with glee as your crew bring aboard treasure, or conjure a coin out of thin air!
- Romance Emote Bundle – Are you ready? Are you ready for ROMANCE? The Romance Emote Bundle offers four love-themed emotes for you to woo your crewmates.
- Monkey Dance – Have you always wanted to dance the night away with your loyal monkey companion, but never really felt truly synchronised? Mimic your monkey with this Monkey Dance!
- More Emote Radial Pages – Players will now have access to five configurable emote radial pages.
- Lunar Festival Bundle (Store Only) – Available only on the Xbox and Microsoft Stores. Celebrate the New Year in Style with the Lunar Festival Bundle, full of gear to help get the party boat rocking! Within you’ll find the Lunar Festival Item Bundle of four themed items, four romance-themed emotes plus 1000 Ancient Coins and free bonus Gold – you’ll be the life of the party! Head to the Store to find out more.
Black Market[edit | edit source]
- Aristocrat Ship Set – Introducing the complete Aristocrat Ship Set. This includes the Aristocrat Hull, Sails, Flag, Wheel, Capstan, Cannons and Figurehead, all available for Doubloons.
- Aristocrat Weapons – Following this elegant Ship Set, players can also pick up the Aristocrat Weapon Set comprising the Aristocrat Cutlass, Flintlock, Eye of Reach and Blunderbuss, all available for Doubloons.
- Mercenary Instruments – Continuing the quest to complete unfinished sets, Duke is making the Mercenary Instruments available for Doubloons this month: that’s the Mercenary Concertina, Hurdy-Gurdy, Drum and Banjo!
- Nightshine Parrot Weapons – How about something for your gold? This month brings the introduction of the Nightshine Parrot set, starting with the weapons. Players can purchase the Nightshine Cutlass, Flintlock, Eye of Reach and Blunderbuss.
- Nightshine Parrot Clothing – More Nightshine Parrot goods! Continuing with the theme, this month players can purchase the Nightshine Parrot Jacket, Dress and Hat.
- Crimson Corsair Sea Dog Clothing – For pirates looking for a more rustic appearance, this month offers a twist on the Corsair Sea Dog Clothing Set. The full Crimson Corsair Sea Dog Clothing Set can be acquired in exchange for gold!
Outpost Cosmetics[edit | edit source]
With all the fancy items arriving in the Black Market, the Outpost Stores have shifted tack and begun offering up a range of scruffy pirate attire!
- Outpost Clothing Store Update – The Outpost clothing stores now stock a range of new clothing styles to provide a scrappier pirate look! With new hats, shirts, jackets, gloves, belts and shoes, there’s surely something to catch your eye. Keen-eyed players will also notice the introduction of some previously seen cosmetics from legacy game footage…
- More Feminine Clothing Colour Options – Following the previous release of more feminine clothing options, new colour variants have now been released for you to mix and match!
The Arena[edit | edit source]
- Preventing Stormy Starts – It is no longer possible to start a contest inside a storm. However, storms are still present in The Arena with their dynamic effects on gameplay, so players can continue to use them as part of their strategy or get caught by surprise!
- Sunken Ships Respawning Faster – Ships that have been sunk in The Arena will sink to the depths faster, allowing a new ship to spawn more quickly. This will reduce loading times when using the mermaid or coming back from death after sinking.
Updates[edit | edit source]
- Adventure Cross Play – Xbox players now have an option in the main settings menu (before jumping into a game session) to enable an Xbox controller preference for Adventure matchmaking. This will search for Xbox players using controllers and attempt to match you with players who have also selected this option. If not enough players can be found with this preference, you will be moved to a mixed-platform game so that you can still get into the action. If you set this preference to ‘Off’, you will be matched with all players including those on PC and any Xbox players using a mouse and keyboard.
- Emergent Storage Crates Filled! – Storage crates discovered across the seas can now spawn with a range of goodies inside. Even the Fruit Crate now has fruit inside!
Fixed Issues[edit | edit source]
General[edit | edit source]
- Vaults should no longer be empty after completing the Fort of the Damned or a Skeleton Fort.
- After defeating Graymarrow during a Fort of the Damned run, he should now consistently drop the Fort Key in an area that players can reach.
- Being afflicted by venom or fire damage and climbing into a cannon now continues to damage players.
- Items can once again be used immediately after sprinting.
- Improved weapon hit registration during intense long-distance gunfights.
- Washed-up Storage Crates should no longer appear floating in the air.
- ‘The Shroudbreaker’ Tall Tale – The Mysterious Stranger’s voiceover will now play consistently throughout his introduction.
- ‘Wild Rose’ Tall Tale – Players can now give the Music Box to other players.
- ‘Shores of Gold’ Tall Tale – Skulls will now drop consistently after defeating the Gold Hoarder.
- ‘Shores of Gold’ Tall Tale – After dying on the Shores of Gold and returning to your ship, the ship VFX for passing through the Shroud should no longer appear.
- ‘The Seabound Soul’ Tall Tale – After completing the tomb sequence, the door no longer stays open for subsequent crews to pass through.
- Resolved an issue that could cause resource items to be collected incorrectly when retrieved from a barrel.
- Players loading into a crew who are engaging in an active Skeleton Ship battle should no longer encounter an infinite black screen when loading in.
- Sword trail VFX now displays across all swords.
- Fixed missing textures at the bottom of ladders.
- The health bar UI now animates when gaining health.
- Cargo Crates should no longer be directed to an unnamed ‘Gold Hoarder’ NPC for delivery.
- Audio should once again trigger when choosing, equipping and changing pages of emotes in the Vanity Chest.
- Holding take/stow when interacting with a barrel on keyboard should no longer repeatedly play an audio effect.
New Player Onboarding[edit | edit source]
- Players should no longer become stuck in an infinite loop when leaving their ship and venturing into restricted areas.
- Emote and non-verbal radials will no longer display when your ship is sailing off during the cinematic outro.
- New players who have yet to complete Company onboarding and join a crew in progress should no longer load incorrectly into the world.
- Moving too far away from the Mysterious Stranger while he is speaking to you no longer causes the onboarding prompts to disappear.
- Players will be disconnected from ship interaction points during Maiden Voyage’s cinematic outro.
- Starting ‘The Shroudbreaker’ Tall Tale during the Mysterious Stranger’s introduction no longer creates multiple Mysterious Strangers.
- Players are no longer able to reach areas underneath the island.
- Improved visibility of the Wrecked Ships Lore Book.
- Cancelling the tutorial Voyage when above Rank 1 now cancels the onboarding.
- Players will now be prompted to raise the ship’s anchor even if they have raised one of the island anchors during the on-ship section of the tutorial.
- Planks of wood can no longer be collected while fishing.
- During the Mysterious Stranger’s opening dialogue, players can no longer talk to him.
Festival of Giving[edit | edit source]
- Tome of Power III will now display the correct model when placed on the ground.
Pirate Emporium[edit | edit source]
- The Bailing Story emote preview now loops at the correct point in the animation.
- Bilge Rat Persona emotes now have an appropriately themed button on the emote radial.
Pets[edit | edit source]
- Returning from the Ferry of the Damned should no longer cause pets to become stuck and unable to follow the player.
- Pet hangouts in the Pirate Legend Hideout now function correctly.
- Pets can no longer appear temporarily invisible when placed on a perch on a moving ship.
- Pets should no longer clip through the steps of the Sloop into the barrels when the ship is moving.
Known Issues[edit | edit source]
- Crews Prevented From Seeing Another Crew’s Active Voyage – When encountering another crew’s ship, the Captain’s Table no longer displays the Voyage that crew is currently on.
- Equipped Cosmetics Do Not Persist Between Sessions – Some players may find that after equipping cosmetics then leaving the game, upon their return those cosmetics will no longer be equipped.
To learn more about the currently tracked known issues on Sea of Thieves and their status, head over to our Known Issues support site article.
Download and Installation[edit | edit source]
- Xbox One: 4.9 GB
- Xbox One X: 7.8 GB
- Windows 10: 7.8 GB
Forum Discussion[edit | edit source]
You can discuss these release notes in the Forums here.
You can leave your feedback on the game in general here.